Help me choose a 300 dollar Mower

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. :smile:

benski

Threads
Welcome to the madness:wink:! I presume that you are looking for new machinery?

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I could be biased, as I have a Toro, but it has more power and an alloy deck (with a higher price tag).

The Husky has a Honda motor, but it'll be a "Big Box" motor, without the low oil shutdown and other features the higher priced Hondas have. It says mulcher capable.

The Toro probably has a Briggs and Stratton motor, but it's self propelled, 3 way convertible, has a wash out port and costs $20 less.

Frankly, at that price, unless it's a big sale, I think there is too much for too little (read flimsy) on the Toro and I'd go with the Husky.

Oddball

Threads
This is the answer I gave on another forum when someone had basically the same question. It doesn't address what brand of mower you should get, just some things to consider.

If you religiously cut the grass back by 1/3 of its height (eg: if you keep it cut at 2 inches, then you'd cut it as soon as its grown to 3 inches)regardless of whether its been a week or only 2 days since you last mowed, like is recommended by all the experts, then you may be perfectly satisfied with an inexpensive low powered mower because you'd only be removing roughly an inch and a half or less at a time and you'd not be subjecting it to the constant stress of bogging it down in tall grass. But as a general rule neither a mulching mower nor a bagger will do an efficient job unless they have a lot of power if you let the grass/weeds get tall before you mow, if then. However, the more torque the engine has the happier you'll be with the results I think. Buy the most powerful mower you can find within your budget. You'll get a more powerful engine for less money if you go Briggs & Stratton or Kohler over Honda and B&S is generally less expensive to repair if they need it. B&S has a lot of detractors, but with the exception of one push mower, every one I've had or used in the last 30+ years has had B&S engines. All were box store mowers from K-mart, Sears, etc. and all virtually trouble free for many years even when not cared for properly.

I noticed one of the mowers you linked to is a front wheel drive model. I would caution against getting front wheel drive unless you have a smooth yard. Bumps and tree roots will throw the mower off line and you'll be constantly fighting it to keep it going straight. I know this from experience I had a front wheel drive model for years and hated it every second. When I first got it we had a smooth level yard and it was great, however, we moved shortly after to a new house with a bumpy tree root infested yard and it was a nightmare. It got to the point I would not even engage the drive and just used it like a push mower.

macarciero

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the answer I gave on another forum when someone had basically the same question. It doesn't address what brand of mower you should get, just some things to consider.

If you religiously cut the grass back by 1/3 of its height (eg: if you keep it cut at 2 inches, then you'd cut it as soon as its grown to 3 inches)regardless of whether its been a week or only 2 days since you last mowed, like is recommended by all the experts, then you may be perfectly satisfied with an inexpensive low powered mower because you'd only be removing roughly an inch and a half or less at a time and you'd not be subjecting it to the constant stress of bogging it down in tall grass. But as a general rule neither a mulching mower nor a bagger will do an efficient job unless they have a lot of power if you let the grass/weeds get tall before you mow, if then. However, the more torque the engine has the happier you'll be with the results I think. Buy the most powerful mower you can find within your budget. You'll get a more powerful engine for less money if you go Briggs & Stratton or Kohler over Honda and B&S is generally less expensive to repair if they need it. B&S has a lot of detractors, but with the exception of one push mower, every one I've had or used in the last 30+ years has had B&S engines. All were box store mowers from K-mart, Sears, etc. and all virtually trouble free for many years even when not cared for properly.

I noticed one of the mowers you linked to is a front wheel drive model. I would caution against getting front wheel drive unless you have a smooth yard. Bumps and tree roots will throw the mower off line and you'll be constantly fighting it to keep it going straight. I know this from experience I had a front wheel drive model for years and hated it every second. When I first got it we had a smooth level yard and it was great, however, we moved shortly after to a new house with a bumpy tree root infested yard and it was a nightmare. It got to the point I would not even engage the drive and just used it like a push mower.

That being said, which would you choose from the models I listed?

Oddball

Threads
That being said, which would you choose from the models I listed?

Without knowing the specifics of your needs or habits regarding the size and condition of your lawn or how often you cut the grass, its hard to say. The Husqvarna seems low powered, the Toro would be my choice if it weren't front wheel drive, the Craftsman doesn't have enough info about the motor other than its a Honda, so can't say for sure on that one, and the Lawnboy is used and not enough info given in the advertisement, although if its got a more powerful engine (6.0 ft/lbs and up) and looks reasonably well cared for on inspection, it may be a contender, I'd try and talk the seller down more though, to at least somewhere closer to half original price unless its in excellent condition, after all you never know for sure what you're getting in a used mower. Has the oil and air filter been changed regularly? Has it been stored with gas in it for long periods that may effect the condition of the carburetor? Has it hit rocks or other things that may have damaged the shaft? I may be pessimistic, but when it comes to buying used, I assume the seller is going to lie about problems they've had with the product and/or how they've cared for it. I've seen and heard of it happening too many times not to assume the seller is lying to get rid of a problem product.

I went back and looked at the Lawn Boy again and saw the other pics. Its got the power I'd want and it is self propelled, I think, and if so its rear wheel drive, so it would definitely be a contender based on condition and price.