Help identify a part

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
from what i see, appears that part isn't available by itself, just the entire draglink.
either 1614731650531.png
Edit: Sheesh, didn't see the other 2 replies. :oops:

kvas

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a tie rod end, but in many cases it is sold as part of the drag link all as one part. John Deere for instance makes you buy a complete new drag link with new tie rod ends wheather they're all broken, loose or not

edward beday

Forum Newbie
Threads
Removing the ball joint and drilling a hole in the rod is more difficult than buying a replacement ball joint and doing it right. I found a ball joint at Home Depot, an MTD stock number 723-0448 that may fit your tractor. Home Depot SKU #1001134538. 2 in the package $19.98/pkg. Lawson Products also lists about 5 sizes of these but, they are only sold in packages of 5.

Last edited:

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Dang!!!
A tad rough, aren't we?

View attachment 55585
Here is the part you need, called a drag link or steering arm.
You need the mower's model number off of the tag under/behind the seat to look up the correct one.
If this design has one on each side, I have two cautions. 1) replace both. 2) wheel toe in toe out may be fighting due to front axle mounting slop allowing the axle to tilt for and aft causing toe in toe out to change beyond normal in forward and reverse but in opposite widths of toe in. The strain on driving, steering, and wear will only get worse. I have not found a way to fix this at reasonable shop repair costs and have condemned no further cost effective repairs on two units.

Evil Spirit

Threads
Now that you have P/N's I would shop around for the links. For instance, Amazon lists a kit with both links for $47 with free shipping. That is pretty much what you pay for 1 side after shipping from Sears.

GDHS

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of the beauties of a Craftsman product is that you can go on the NET to SearsPartsDirect.com, enter your model number, and look at parts lists/diagrams for your machine, and normally (if not obsolete) the parts are available for purchase from the website.

Threads
One of the beauties of a Craftsman product is that you can go on the NET to SearsPartsDirect.com, enter your model number, and look at parts lists/diagrams for your machine, and normally (if not obsolete) the parts are available for purchase from the website.
I actually looked at searspartsdirect but could not figure out what part it was. I must have been way off because I saw no mention of a drag link.
One more question for you guys.
Should I buy from searspartsdirect and ger the oem parts or should I go on amazon and buy a knock off?
I worry about the knock off quality because some are excellent and some are horrible. Never having ordered any mower parts I don't know what to expect.

Threads
If this design has one on each side, I have two cautions. 1) replace both. 2) wheel toe in toe out may be fighting due to front axle mounting slop allowing the axle to tilt for and aft causing toe in toe out to change beyond normal in forward and reverse but in opposite widths of toe in. The strain on driving, steering, and wear will only get worse. I have not found a way to fix this at reasonable shop repair costs and have condemned no further cost effective repairs on two units.
Great advice. I will replace both sides. I figure no matter if only one side went bad the other may be soon to follow. Now I need to find a write up on aligning them.
Thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I actually looked at searspartsdirect but could not figure out what part it was. I must have been way off because I saw no mention of a drag link.
One more question for you guys.
Should I buy from searspartsdirect and ger the oem parts or should I go on amazon and buy a knock off?
I worry about the knock off quality because some are excellent and some are horrible. Never having ordered any mower parts I don't know what to expect.
The question is how strapped for cash are you ?
In this modern greedy age there seems to be an unbelievable selfish drive to get everything at the lowest possible price .
This has consequences because for instance , Sears spends quite a bit of money to keep that web page you just used up & running.
They go broke and the page goes with them so next time you need it what do you do ?
I get really dissapointed by all of the "absolute cheapest item" index sites on the web as if it is now some sort of a crime for any person to make a reasonable living, except you .
Particularly the way they are advertised making people feel guilty of neglecting their family or future if they don't use them .
Remember Joni Mitchel's "Big Yellow Taxi" , here was a lot of wisedome in those lyrics

Amazon are regularly in the courts for mistreating their slaves , sorry employees , they just think they are slaves .
I am not anti efficiency but it has limits.
As more things are automated reducing the amount of work available and populations keep on increasing ask "Where will my great grand kids work " and no they can not all be CEO of Tesla .