Help identify a part

Threads
Screenshot_20210302-021806~2.pngHi. Can anyone help me find the name to this part. I need to order one to get my mower back mowing. It is on the front end of a craftsman yts 3000 riding lawn mower. It is part of the steering and the round piece (I guess it can be called a sleeve?) that wraps around shaft broke and no longer connects the shaft to the steering bracket. Sorry for my bad terminology here.
After looking through the parts diagram all night I can not figure out what the part is called or what part number it is.
I really appreciate any help with this issue as I don't have a back up to use for my clients.
Thanks guys

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since Craftsman have been made by more than one company we will need the model number from under the seat to find the part number. The rubber sleeve is just a protector for the ball joint, but the ball joint is the failed component and will require the replacement of the rod may be called a steering link, drag link or something similar

BOND007

Forum Newbie
Threads
As a shade tree mechanic, I have came across this problem a lot. I have found a more permanent fix. I Take the ball joint out, Drill hole through arm, and use grade 8 bolt, spacer washer and locking nut.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dang!!!
A tad rough, aren't we?

drag.PNG
Here is the part you need, called a drag link or steering arm.
You need the mower's model number off of the tag under/behind the seat to look up the correct one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I save my money for booze and strippers personally.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I save my money for booze and strippers personally.
I did put among other things. <LOL>

Dang!!!
A tad rough, aren't we?
Well that what most around are doing except one down the street that send all his spare money to the Donald. He buy tin for his roof but not the nails or screws to hold it on, just uses rocks and old tires.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A bit coarse but I would stand behind Star 100 %
Replacing a ball joint with a bolt is a nasty cheap bodge at the best of times and should be a vary last resort emergency repair .
IT is the sort of thing that when people find it on a used mower that gives used mowers the bad name that they seem to have universally.
In a very short time it will need to be replaced again because the shaft is not hardened like it is on the cheap & nasty mowers that use a bolt where a ball joint used to be fitted to drop the price of the new mowers.
This is a repair forum where correct repair proceedures should be posted not nasty bodges.
However it is 305's mower so he can do as he sees fit.
For me the very worst bodge would be to weld a female tie rod end onto the drag link, but I warrant my repairs for 12 months so no bodges leave my workshop unless it is a temporary repair while I wait for the proper parts to arrive .

Threads
Thank you guys. I wish I would have posted this sooner instead of driving myself crazy until 2:30am.
The model number is:
I will be buying the correct parts to fix it. The bolt trick is a great tip if I'm in the middle of a job and it breaks again.
Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
looks like you have two 194740 for left and 194741 for right side