Hello from sunny Cheshire UK!

Sallyday10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mike here, hoping to help out with some small engine stuff and glean some advice on some new tools I have!

logert gogert

Threads
Welcome!
UK? interesting.....
good to have you, a lot of good people on here with ALOT of knowledge.
What new tools you got?

Sallyday10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome!
UK? interesting.....
good to have you, a lot of good people on here with ALOT of knowledge.
What new tools you got?

I've just picked up an HS45 hedge trimmer that's due here next week. It's a 2009 model, looks like only light usage, but the seller reckons he can't get the primer bubble to fill. I'm thinking fuel lines,filter, maybe even a carb swap if the obvious stuff doesn't work. There's a small gauze filter on the base of the carb too from what I've seen, that can gunk-up too. Last year I picked up an MS200T saw with a 'jammed' pull cord. The guy had fitted a new recoil, but the pawls were the wrong way round, 5 minutes later I had it running - bought it for £50, worth at least £250 over here.

Mike.

logert gogert

Threads
I've just picked up an HS45 hedge trimmer that's due here next week. It's a 2009 model, looks like only light usage, but the seller reckons he can't get the primer bubble to fill. I'm thinking fuel lines,filter, maybe even a carb swap if the obvious stuff doesn't work. There's a small gauze filter on the base of the carb too from what I've seen, that can gunk-up too. Last year I picked up an MS200T saw with a 'jammed' pull cord. The guy had fitted a new recoil, but the pawls were the wrong way round, 5 minutes later I had it running - bought it for £50, worth at least £250 over here.

Mike.
if you do it right you can make a lot of profit off this stuff :)

logert gogert

Threads
there might also be a hole in the primer, but if it runs fine it might not be fuel lines, but if you do get a carb DO NOT get one off amazon, those things are crap

Sallyday10

Forum Newbie
Threads
there might also be a hole in the primer, but if it runs fine it might not be fuel lines, but if you do get a carb DO NOT get one off amazon, those things are crap
Hi Loggy-Goggy,

it's interesting that you mention the cheap crap from China, I've not fitted any myself, but a mate of mine reckons the China stuff is reasonably good! It'd be good to hear your experience of them to be honest, I don't like fitting cheap sh1te to my gear, it's false economy.

Any ideas on a decent replacement then, if I do need to fit a new carb?

Thanks,

Mike.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lots of reasons why the purge bulb will not fill.
If it pops back quickly the suspect a broken fuel line
If it does not seem to want to pop back suspect a blocked fuel filter in the tank/ blocked internal fuel filter / stuck check valve

Sallyday10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lots of reasons why the purge bulb will not fill.
If it pops back quickly the suspect a broken fuel line
If it does not seem to want to pop back suspect a blocked fuel filter in the tank/ blocked internal fuel filter / stuck check valve

Many thanks Bert, I'll know a little more once it arrives, appreciate the pointers.

Mike.

logert gogert

Threads
Hi Loggy-Goggy,

it's interesting that you mention the cheap crap from China, I've not fitted any myself, but a mate of mine reckons the China stuff is reasonably good! It'd be good to hear your experience of them to be honest, I don't like fitting cheap sh1te to my gear, it's false economy.

Any ideas on a decent replacement then, if I do need to fit a new carb?

Thanks,

Mike.
i've bought only 2 carbs from amazon, but i've bought many small engine parts from amazon.
the two carbs a i bought, one was for a weedeater, but it came in a kit, it consisted of:

a carb, 2 air filters, 3 feet of main fuel line, and 3 feet of the small fuel line, 4 primer bulbs, 2 spark plugs, 4 fuel filters.
all for only $14, i knew it was too good to be true....
the carb didn't work at all, i even cleaned it, adjusted it, but still didn't work properly.
the other carb i got was for a 12.5 hp briggs flat head.
it works okay but it could be better ( you get what you pay for )
when i went to adjust the carb the adjusting screw broke, now its stuck in a lean position.
there are many companies on amazon that sell carbs, just look at the reviews and make sure the reviews are good, but be careful, as for you get what you pay for.

if you have any other quetsions feel free to ask ;)

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi and welcome!