Hello Everyone!!New to this Forum and wanting to start my lawn care business..

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Hello Everyone!!New to this Forum and wanting to start my lawn care business..
Another thing i forgot to mention is that I only have about $6000 to spend on a commercial Riding mower. Both entry level commercial Grasshopper and Dixie Chopper riding mowers are about $5500-$6000, so those are right on my budget. Also what I like as that both dealers have been in this area for a long time, and they service the Mowers they sell. But since I am new to using Riding Mowers, I would like some feedback on any other brands I might be able to buy for $6000 or less? Another thing, what do you guys think about me starting out with a Residential Zero tun riding mower, I guy in my town is selling a Husqvarna Zero turn riding mower, It has a 3 blade 54" cut with rollers, It has a V-Twin 24 HP Kohler engine. He bought it last year for $3500 and only has 49 hours. He is selling it for $2500 O.B.O. What do your guys think? Just to start off and still have some money left over.

locolupe,
You may be able to get in a Cub Cadet Z-Force or a Toro Z-Master Commercial 2000 Series for close to $6,000 but what I found when I was shopping last fall was that $6,000 is pushing it a bit for "most" Commercial ZTR mowers(new). You really need to consider saving up another $1,000 because $7,000 will get you "several" name brand entry-level Commercial ZTR mowers(and $8,000 will get you into the middle-high end Commercials). I ended up getting a 2012 Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ for $6,800 out-the-door(cash price)...the MSRP was $7782.93(including tax) plus they went up $300 for that same model in 2013. So far, I am VERY pleased with my choice and have never looked back. Good luck on your choice!!! BTW, mine is for personal use, not a lawn care business, I just wanted a "retirement mower" that would last my lifetime:0)

P.S.
My advice is to be sure you compare the technical specs(trannies, engine brand/hp/etc., deck gauge thickness, WARRANTIES) in an "apple-to-apple" comparison across brands/prices. My Gravely compared equally to others I looked at that were $8,0000-$8,500 so I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger when the dealer accepted my $6,800 counter offer. And don't be afraid to offer a dealer 10%-15% less than their first quote and go from there.

scott47429

Threads
  • / Hello Everyone!!New to this Forum and wanting to start my lawn care business..
you might also want to look and see if the dealer you using has anything that is used but not abused i got a real good deal on my Exmark Lazer Z XP

locolupe77

Threads
you might also want to look and see if the dealer you using has anything that is used but not abused i got a real good deal on my Exmark Lazer Z XP

Im going to ask both Grasshopper and Dixie Choper dealers if they have anything used with low hours Or I might just get a new entry model commercial model from them, but get them to come down on their asking price.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Im going to ask both Grasshopper and Dixie Choper dealers if they have anything used with low hours Or I might just get a new entry model commercial model from them, but get them to come down on their asking price.

You mite also ask your dealer if he has any last years models or if either manufacturer has a last years model in the warehouse, that's how I purchased my first Ztr and my 36" WB.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
You mite also ask your dealer if he has any last years models or if either manufacturer has a last years model in the warehouse, that's how I purchased my first Ztr and my 36" WB.

locolupe77,

User Ric gave some good advice as I think the reason I got the dealer to accept my lowball offer on my 2012 Gravely was because I bought an "in stock" 2012 just before the new 2013 models were due to come out. Of course the dealer knew that the model I bought was going up $300 for the 2013 model and he was anxious to get rid of all of the 2012 ZTR's to get the new ones in stock. But a good dealer, as Ric suggested, may check with the manufacturer to get you a new "last year's model" at a good price. Although the down-side to him not "having it in stock" is he'll be less likely to give you a break on the shipping cost from the manufacturer's warehouse.

locolupe77

Threads
locolupe77,

User Ric gave some good advice as I think the reason I got the dealer to accept my lowball offer on my 2012 Gravely was because I bought an "in stock" 2012 just before the new 2013 models were due to come out. Of course the dealer knew that the model I bought was going up $300 for the 2013 model and he was anxious to get rid of all of the 2012 ZTR's to get the new ones in stock. But a good dealer, as Ric suggested, may check with the manufacturer to get you a new "last year's model" at a good price. Although the down-side to him not "having it in stock" is he'll be less likely to give you a break on the shipping cost from the manufacturer's warehouse.

I decided and bought a Dixie Chopper Zee 1 2342, its a residential mower for big yards from 1-5 acres, but built like a commercial mower.. I thought about it and since im just beginning my lawn care business I decided not too spend too much until my business takes off. I paid $3600.00 out the door. If my business does good and I get pretty big properties, I will go back to my dealer and buy a Dixie Chopper silver eagle. I just did not want to get a real expensive mower because you never know how a business will go. I did not want too spend a lot of money just to have it sitting in a garage. I will do what I can with what i have and when needed,I will shell out more money for a bigger mower. What convinced me to buy this type of mower i was the dealer. He has been around here for a long time and services all the mowers he sells at his business. Not too mention that they are the fastest mowers on the market..

Threads
I decided and bought a Dixie Chopper Zee 1 2342, its a residential mower for big yards from 1-5 acres, but built like a commercial mower.. I thought about it and since im just beginning my lawn care business I decided not too spend too much until my business takes off. I paid $3600.00 out the door. If my business does good and I get pretty big properties, I will go back to my dealer and buy a Dixie Chopper silver eagle. I just did not want to get a real expensive mower because you never know how a business will go. I did not want too spend a lot of money just to have it sitting in a garage. I will do what I can with what i have and when needed,I will shell out more money for a bigger mower. What convinced me to buy this type of mower i was the dealer. He has been around here for a long time and services all the mowers he sells at his business. Not too mention that they are the fastest mowers on the market..

I think you will be happy with your decision. :smile: Please post back and let us know your impressions of the mower! :thumbsup:
Zee 1.jpg

locolupe77

Threads
I think you will be happy with your decision. :smile: Please post back and let us know your impressions of the mower! :thumbsup:
View attachment 12395

It is a strong little mower. I have not been able to run it on my property yet because it is still snowing/raining around these parts. As soon as I can really go out there and run it at full speed and maybe cut a little, I will give you guys my impressions on it.:thumbsup:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

I don' think you did wrong. I started out last year. Kubota has a dealer here that has been here since like the mid 1970's. I bought an entry level commercial from them that is 48" cut. I had in mind buying it as a nich mower. Meaning it is smaller than many of the guys here use. Therefore I thought it might fill a nich that might get me into some smaller yards. It is too early still to tell however cause it was August when I started. I have had work however since I started. That mower should pay for itself several times over before it bites the dust and if you decide you need a bigger mower some home owner will probably be willing to snatch it up at a reasonable price a year from now.

locolupe77

Threads
I don' think you did wrong. I started out last year. Kubota has a dealer here that has been here since like the mid 1970's. I bought an entry level commercial from them that is 48" cut. I had in mind buying it as a nich mower. Meaning it is smaller than many of the guys here use. Therefore I thought it might fill a nich that might get me into some smaller yards. It is too early still to tell however cause it was August when I started. I have had work however since I started. That mower should pay for itself several times over before it bites the dust and if you decide you need a bigger mower some home owner will probably be willing to snatch it up at a reasonable price a year from now.

Im hoping to get in some smaller yards first also, then eventually, once I have made some money and have got myself into bigger properties, I will upgrade to a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 54-60" cut. Some guy who owns a Lawncare business also told me he started the same way and pretty quickly got so much work that in a few months he had to upgrade and even had tp hire a helper. Lets see how it goes?:thumbsup: