Export thread

Hello and questions for the entrepreneurs

M

mikosiko

New here and it looks like a great forum. I am looking to begin a business soon. Got a name reserved and gonna start slow, beat a path, learn alot, and try to make a life. Keep in mind this is going to be a complete change of careers, I hope to eventually change from a career I have had for over 15 years.... So there forays into my questions for the Lawn business owners. Who were you before the lawn care business and what do you feel are the top 3 considerations or talents to have to be successful in terms of making a good life out it. Thanks

Ric

Ric

New here and it looks like a great forum. I am looking to begin a business soon. Got a name reserved and gonna start slow, beat a path, learn alot, and try to make a life. Keep in mind this is going to be a complete change of careers, I hope to eventually change from a career I have had for over 15 years.... So there forays into my questions for the Lawn business owners. Who were you before the lawn care business and what do you feel are the top 3 considerations or talents to have to be successful in terms of making a good life out it. Thanks

The top 3 considerations I would think would be Location, Start up money and Time, but to be successful in terms of making a good life or a good living out of it would depend on what you consider to be good living.

Carscw

Carscw

mikosiko said:

Before I started my own lawn care business I was a superintendent at a golf course country club.
The top 3 things in my opinion.
1 you MUST enjoy what you are doing.
2 take a lot of pride in your work try and do a better job than any one else.
3 you must be open to learn and try new ways of doing things. There is no right or wrong ways to do things just different ways.

I enjoy doing this so much my wife gets mad when we going some where and I point out a nice yard. I have even stopped and talked to a home owner just to tell them there yard is nice.

Get a couple yards in a nighborhood and make them stand out. I put 10-10-10 on every yard once a month at no extra charge it keeps the grass green and growing so I get to cut every week not every other week.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Before I started my own lawn care business I was a superintendent at a golf course country club.
The top 3 things in my opinion.
1 you MUST enjoy what you are doing.
2 take a lot of pride in your work try and do a better job than any one else.
3 you must be open to learn and try new ways of doing things. There is no right or wrong ways to do things just different ways.

I enjoy doing this so much my wife gets mad when we going some where and I point out a nice yard. I have even stopped and talked to a home owner just to tell them there yard is nice.

Get a couple yards in a nighborhood and make them stand out. I put 10-10-10 on every yard once a month at no extra charge it keeps the grass green and growing so I get to cut every week not every other week.

WELCOME TO LMF!
I agree 100% with the "top 3 things" list Carscw said above. :thumbsup:

I also notice the really nice lawns and point them out to people! :biggrin:

M

mikosiko

Thanks for the replies. I am starting small, nothing more than a '12 Honda 216VYA, Ryobi gas trimmer/edger. Going to invest in the blower (could use recommendations), and investing into all the things needed for licensing for starting a business and eventually doing lawn treatments. I use to do lawn treatments for another business a lifetime ago. My marketing so far will be door to door with postcards and hangars focusing mostly on selling myself and then my quality work. I will carry business cards everywhere I go. Then getting on the web. There are 1 million people here and little over 100 lawn and landscape companies. This is my home and I have fairly signifigant family pressence here with a good reputation. Most of which are business owners themselves. I have a goal to build slow but I would like to get to $100,000.00 in revenue with a 70%-90% profit margin in 2 years. As far as time available I know it will probably be my biggest challenge but I am committed to always having time to make money, my current job is a night job so that might be a little help.... I moved into my home 10 years ago and completely installed a lawn that was nothing but crabgrass, goosegrass, dollarweed, henbit, chickweed and nutsedge...lol...I have boasted 2nd place in the neighborhood to a guy that ran a very successful landscaping company. He also had heavy ornamentals, quite a sight indeed, but I had no ornamentals and was second to him. I have always enjoyed being complimented on my lawn and that certainly is the payoff for the work. But although it has had its challenges it was still fun, I think waiting for time to pass to see the results of something I was testing in treatments was the most irritating thing. Now doing it for myself I percieve is far different from doing professionally for a customer and think that would be my only stress right off. Sorry this is a novel but lots to say on the onset... Thanks for all suggestions and advice it is all very appreciated.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I like Echo blowers but Stihl is another great brand. :thumbsup: Leaf Blowers, Handheld Blowers, Backpack Blowers, Quiet Yard Blowers | ECHO USA

M

mikosiko

Great checking them out now... I have found an used Echo for $85.00.... While checking it out what do I look for besides just if it runs?

metz12

metz12

Thanks for the replies. I am starting small, nothing more than a '12 Honda 216VYA, Ryobi gas trimmer/edger. Going to invest in the blower (could use recommendations), and investing into all the things needed for licensing for starting a business and eventually doing lawn treatments. I use to do lawn treatments for another business a lifetime ago. My marketing so far will be door to door with postcards and hangars focusing mostly on selling myself and then my quality work. I will carry business cards everywhere I go. Then getting on the web. There are 1 million people here and little over 100 lawn and landscape companies. This is my home and I have fairly signifigant family pressence here with a good reputation. Most of which are business owners themselves. I have a goal to build slow but I would like to get to $100,000.00 in revenue with a 70%-90% profit margin in 2 years. As far as time available I know it will probably be my biggest challenge but I am committed to always having time to make money, my current job is a night job so that might be a little help.... I moved into my home 10 years ago and completely installed a lawn that was nothing but crabgrass, goosegrass, dollarweed, henbit, chickweed and nutsedge...lol...I have boasted 2nd place in the neighborhood to a guy that ran a very successful landscaping company. He also had heavy ornamentals, quite a sight indeed, but I had no ornamentals and was second to him. I have always enjoyed being complimented on my lawn and that certainly is the payoff for the work. But although it has had its challenges it was still fun, I think waiting for time to pass to see the results of something I was testing in treatments was the most irritating thing. Now doing it for myself I percieve is far different from doing professionally for a customer and think that would be my only stress right off. Sorry this is a novel but lots to say on the onset... Thanks for all suggestions and advice it is all very appreciated.

What size leafblower are you looking for? a handheald? backpack? Like fanatic said, echo and stihl are great blowers. i havent used a bad stihl leaf blower yet. Not sure what one but one of the echo backpack blowers is pretty awesome too. but if your looking for light duty stuff like blowing grass or small amounts of leafs this little weedeater i have is awesome for that. Shop Weed Eater 25cc 2-Cycle Light-Duty Gas Blower at Lowes.com

Ric

Ric

Great checking them out now... I have found an used Echo for $85.00.... While checking it out what do I look for besides just if it runs?

What model is it? How old? Is it Hand Held or Backpack, just because it runs doesn't mean it's worth $85.

M

mikosiko

What size leafblower are you looking for? a handheald? backpack? Like fanatic said, echo and stihl are great blowers. i havent used a bad stihl leaf blower yet. Not sure what one but one of the echo backpack blowers is pretty awesome too. but if your looking for light duty stuff like blowing grass or small amounts of leafs this little weedeater i have is awesome for that. Shop Weed Eater 25cc 2-Cycle Light-Duty Gas Blower at Lowes.com

Probably a backpack medium level to handle grass clippings to medium leaf jobs...

What model is it? How old? Is it Hand Held or Backpack, just because it runs doesn't mean it's worth $85

I'll check that out.. Thanks

Carscw

Carscw

I use a handheld I find it is easier to get around things. And no straps to adjust if more than one person is going to use it.
You will find out that some on here believe in overkill on blowers and trimmers. If all your doing is blowing off the driveway, walkways , and the decks then why get a blower that will move a car.
Same thing with a trimmer the only reason to have the biggest is if your cutting thick weeds or small trees or just to say you have it.
Then comes what type of service are you going to provide? This will determine what type of mowers you will use.
For my residential yards I ONLY use snapper push mowers and cut a checker board pattern.
And handle a 100% of the yard and charge a lot of $.

On my bank owned homes I use a 46 riding mower. ( cheaper than a ZTR and less parts to break ) cut, edge, trim, blow and leave at $35 each at 20 a day. Have got to where I sub must of them out for $25 to the mow and go guys with the ZTR.

You sound like a man that takes a lot of pride in your own yard. I don't think you would be happy doing the $20 yards just mowing.
I enjoy doing the high end homes where I have total control of the entire yard and they don't mind paying to have yard of the month.
If you take pride and love to show off your skills than this is the way to go.

I do not do contracts at all your work should keep them year after year not a contract.

Anyone can cut grass but it takes skill to groom grass

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I saw that blower on Amazon the other day and I couldn't belive how cheap it was! Not saying it's good quality, but for just blowing off a driveway, almost anything will work!

I agree with what Carscw said. Let your work be your advertising (but still use other advertising methods)!

M

mikosiko

I use a handheld I find it is easier to get around things. And no straps to adjust if more than one person is going to use it.
You will find out that some on here believe in overkill on blowers and trimmers. If all your doing is blowing off the driveway, walkways , and the decks then why get a blower that will move a car.
Same thing with a trimmer the only reason to have the biggest is if your cutting thick weeds or small trees or just to say you have it.
Then comes what type of service are you going to provide? This will determine what type of mowers you will use.
For my residential yards I ONLY use snapper push mowers and cut a checker board pattern.
And handle a 100% of the yard and charge a lot of $.

On my bank owned homes I use a 46 riding mower. ( cheaper than a ZTR and less parts to break ) cut, edge, trim, blow and leave at $35 each at 20 a day. Have got to where I sub must of them out for $25 to the mow and go guys with the ZTR.

You sound like a man that takes a lot of pride in your own yard. I don't think you would be happy doing the $20 yards just mowing.
I enjoy doing the high end homes where I have total control of the entire yard and they don't mind paying to have yard of the month.
If you take pride and love to show off your skills than this is the way to go.

I do not do contracts at all your work should keep them year after year not a contract.

Anyone can cut grass but it takes skill to groom grass

Thanks for the advice and recommendations. Indeed my attention to detail and strong work ethic are my qualities and I intend to get the customer with honest straight forward asking for the business and keeping them with the results.
Yeah, I am not wanting to overspend yet I am a stickler for quality, not really a look at my machine kind though. Most people I have spoke with do not endorse Ryobi trimmers but I have had nothing but great results with them. I will look at all suggestions very carefully running through my normal discrimination process. Word of experience from others is part of it.

I saw that blower on Amazon the other day and I couldn't belive how cheap it was! Not saying it's good quality, but for just blowing off a driveway, almost anything will work!

I agree with what Carscw said. Let your work be your advertising (but still use other advertising methods)!

Indeed!!!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

mikosiko: I just wanted to tell you that you put part of your response into my quote (see picture). If you do it soon you can edit it and take it out. :smile:
LawnMowerForum Post.jpg

metz12

metz12

Ya, this thing is really nice for the size and the price. Electric blowers dont even compete with it. I did a HUGE leaf job a few weeks ago. it was about a half acre by half acre (working with my friend and it wasnt a job i got it was a job his uncle called me for) with about a foot of leaves. and it kept right up with his stihl br430. of course it didnt preform as well and i had to so a little more work but it did really well for a little toy like that!

Carscw

Carscw

I like ryobi trimmers. They are easy to start and feel good in my hands.

I always say don't buy more than what you need.
As far as trimmers and blowers I buy what my wife likes to use. She loves the $69.00 trimmer from walmart it is light and easy for her to use the bad part is I have to buy one every year.
The only things I spend the big $ on is my push mowers and blades. I sharping my blades 3 times then sell them at half price to a buddy.

Just use what feels good in your hands
What people don't get about Home Depot is when your ryobi breaks bring it back and get a new one.

M

mikosiko

mikosiko: I just wanted to tell you that you put part of your response into my quote (see picture). If you do it soon you can edit it and take it out. :smile:
View attachment 10236

:biggrin: Thanks got'er done.

M

mikosiko

I like ryobi trimmers. They are easy to start and feel good in my hands.

I always say don't buy more than what you need.
As far as trimmers and blowers I buy what my wife likes to use. She loves the $69.00 trimmer from walmart it is light and easy for her to use the bad part is I have to buy one every year.
The only things I spend the big $ on is my push mowers and blades. I sharping my blades 3 times then sell them at half price to a buddy.

Just use what feels good in your hands
What people don't get about Home Depot is when your ryobi breaks bring it back and get a new one.

Great advice and something I certainly will follow, I will not get into debt, yet I will save and buy what I reasonably need. Right now my job makes me $25 bucks and hour and full buffet of benefits. Great things I know but this will allow me to start doing what I have always wanted to. I guess my current job is a means to an end..lol... You all will get to see this mid-life foolstart and grow his business from 6 pence to who knows maybe a Million...lol.... That is stretching it a bit but I wont deny the oportunity for sure. ....

So I have the mower, trimmer and a 03 dodge 1500 quad cab ready to haul... I need a blower, hangars, postcards, website. I need to keep diggin through on completing my plan in case somewhere I get very busy and lose focus at key growing moments.

Ric

Ric

Great advice and something I certainly will follow, I will not get into debt, yet I will save and buy what I reasonably need. Right now my job makes me $25 bucks and hour and full buffet of benefits. Great things I know but this will allow me to start doing what I have always wanted to. I guess my current job is a means to an end..lol... You all will get to see this mid-life foolstart and grow his business from 6 pence to who knows maybe a Million...lol.... That is stretching it a bit but I wont deny the oportunity for sure. ....

So I have the mower, trimmer and a 03 dodge 1500 quad cab ready to haul... I need a blower, hangars, postcards, website. I need to keep diggin through on completing my plan in case somewhere I get very busy and lose focus at key growing moments.

Has anyone mentioned you need a License, Insurance, maybe someone to do the book keeping to record your equipment expenses, Gas, oil, vehicle mileage etc. etc. so you can pay your taxes at then end of the year without being audited.:frown:

Now lets look at the reality of what you're trying to do, you have a Honda push mower, Ryobi gas trimmer/edger and you're going to invest in the blower and you're going to have this stuff in the back of you're 03 pickup and you're going to compete with a guy or business that has a F-350 cc a twenty foot trailer with two or three ZTR and all high end hand held equipment and backpack blowers etc. etc.:smile:

Now this post may sound a little sarcastic but the reality is there is a lot more to the lawn care business than what's being told here. What you're trying to do with the equipment you are trying to do it with will not work very long, I've been there done that. Again I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just telling the truth and 10 or 12 hours a day in the field then maybe another couple spent on equipment maintenance isn't my idea of a success.

Carscw

Carscw

Ric said:
Has anyone mentioned you need a License, Insurance, maybe someone to do the book keeping to record your equipment expenses, Gas, oil, vehicle mileage etc. etc. so you can pay your taxes at then end of the year without being audited.:frown:

Now lets look at the reality of what you're trying to do, you have a Honda push mower, Ryobi gas trimmer/edger and you're going to invest in the blower and you're going to have this stuff in the back of you're 03 pickup and you're going to compete with a guy or business that has a F-350 cc a twenty foot trailer with two or three ZTR and all high end hand held equipment and backpack blowers etc. etc.:smile:

So if you don't have a big truck and trailer and all the high end tools then you will never make it or last long? I guess my 30 plus years is not long.

Now this post may sound a little sarcastic but the reality is there is a lot more to the lawn care business than what's being told here. What you're trying to do with the equipment you are trying to do it with will not work very long, I've been there done that. Again I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just telling the truth and 10 or 12 hours a day in the field then maybe another couple spent on equipment maintenance isn't my idea of a success.

You should really teach a class on this. In my 50 years of life your the only one that knows it all and the only one that does everything the right way.
Not trying to be sarcastic

Ric

Ric

You should really teach a class on this. In my 50 years of life your the only one that knows it all and the only one that does everything the right way.

I never claimed to know it all, it seems your the one that does that. I just know what the reality of the business is and I just told him the truth and what to expect. Don't get me wrong I admire the new guys trying to start a business and I' ll help them all I can but I'm not going to sugar coat things to make it sound like it's a cake walk either, it's a lot of long hours and hard work to run a business.

What people don't get about Home Depot is when your ryobi breaks bring it back and get a new one. ((please)):rolleyes:

If he wants to be successful the first thing to do is stay away from Home Depot and buy from his nearest dealer and get good equipment to start with.

Oh and BTW I don't appreciate you editing my post.

Carscw

Carscw

Ric said:
I never claimed to know it all, it seems your the one that does that. I just know what the reality of the business is and I just told him the truth and what to expect. Don't get me wrong I admire the new guys trying to start a business and I' ll help them all I can but I'm not going to sugar coat things to make it sound like it's a cake walk either, it's a lot of long hours and hard work to run a business.

What people don't get about Home Depot is when your ryobi breaks bring it back and get a new one. ((please)):rolleyes:

If he wants to be successful the first thing to do is stay away from Home Depot and buy from his nearest dealer and get good equipment to start with.

Oh and BTW I don't appreciate you editing my post.

Many successful company's shop at Home Depot.
You tell everyone the only way to go is to have the big mowers and high end tools.
I made over a 100 grand this year with my push mowers. You say you work 12 hour days so you must have made 200 grand at a grand a day but I am thinking you only make at best 300 a day.

Your fast to tell everyone they can not make it if they don't do things the way you do

Ric

Ric

Many successful company's shop at Home Depot.
You tell everyone the only way to go is to have the big mowers and high end tools.
I made over a 100 grand this year with my push mowers. You say you work 12 hour days so you must have made 200 grand at a grand a day but I am thinking you only make at best 300 a day.

Your fast to tell everyone they can not make it if they don't do things the way you do

I never said they needed to buy High end Equipment or tools or that they can't make it in the business. Stop twisting my words. I said go to there dealer to buy there equipment not HD, with a dealer you'll not only buy better equipment but you'll get there knowledge, there service along with the warranty that goes with it, something you don't get from HD, it only make sense.
As for 12 hour days, I never said I worked 12hr days, again stop twisting my words, but I do know businesses that do to make ends meet.
As far as money goes I make what I set my business up to make, a certain amount of money per month and that is my success, I make what I want. I don't need to let people know how much money I make or the reasons for which I'm doing it.

M

mikosiko

I appreciate all suggestions and advice. I know there are going to be many camps of thinking on this and I know that there will be risk/ reward along with risk/ failure. I will have to just do the best I can here. I know that I dont know much here, and I want to learn so right now it's all valuable.... I do have resources. My brother being a CPA of major multi-million dollar companies and other friends and family who are business owners so that may help. More importantly they all have lawns that I can possibly do lawn care for and maybe use for references and pics. as a bonus for doing well. I plan to beat a path starting with my next door neighbor because he knows what my lawn looks like. So far I know I dont have much tangible to start but I do believe that hard work and calculated sacrifice might be the beginning part to the calculus to putting this all together. Now off to my actual job for 16 hours...lol

AmericanTurf

I would work for a lawn company first to learn how they do there operations. learn the tricks of the trade and how they cut grass and do spring/fall clean ups. good luck to you.

jekjr

jekjr

Another thing that worked for me was I bought a Kubota and got it for 0 down and 0 interest. zI can cut a very minimum amount of grass and make the payment on the mower and they insure it at a very cheap rate also. That way I got a top of the line mower and can use it to pay the bills. Also I have posted in other places but it bears to be posted here as well. Facebook is a very powerful tool to use to get work.

M

mikosiko

Update... Getting my business license and tax id next week, and taking my treating test. I did treatments for a national company many years back and was pretty effective as well as fast. I have always mowed but not professionally and that lies the knowledge deficiency. I still maintain that need to not accrue any debt and take just a few steps at a time let this thing start and grow on a slow steady pace. My ideal customer will want lawn care not mow, blow, spray and go. They will probably be the 30-40 somethings very deep into their $200k minimum careers and want lawn care because they dont want to do it, not because they cant. They will pay around $150.00-$200.00 minimum per month for me to do the job for them. Depending on lawn size and other variables of course. This will take time and experience to hone the craft before that happens. The jobs will justify the equipment at first then re-invest everything for future growth. Certainly I have to do a good job and in treatments I am very confident, it's really the mowing that I will use smaller less motivated customers to grow my knowledge and practice the craft, yet everyone will get my absolute best. The preparation for starting the business legit-wise is time and thought consuming but getting there. Funny thing is you never quite know how valuable a pen and paper is as my list of goals and priorities towards getting this thing going has been a huge help with staying on track. All of your advice comments and criticisms as well are valuable and appreciated. This helps my analytical process to keep me on track as well. Thanks again