Having Starter problem, among other things

ljms

Threads
Here is a standard reply for these problems.
Basically you bypass things one a a time using a pair of jump start leads and a spare battery.
Please run through these and post the results.
Battery cables are not sealed and on more han one occasion I have come across a cable hat has corroded through inside the insulation so they look good & ohm out fine but will not carry the 100 amps that the starter can draw

I like to start from the starter motor and go backwards .
Do the following 5 tests, regardless of the results from an or all of them as there can be more than one problem and you want to isolate where the problem lies.
Elimination of individual parts is important so you know by the end, the battery, solenoid & heavy power circuits are all in good order.

1) try to jump the starter motor directly from your car or truck.
+ on the starter first then - to a good ground near the starter ( drain plug of lift hook are good )
Starter turns = starter good

2) do the same directly from the mowers battery
Starter turns = mower battery good
No turn = duff battery, recharge it & try again.

3) check for voltage ( + 12V ) at the solenoid trigger wire with the key in start position
3a) same with ground trigger wire ( 4 wire solenoid ) or body of solenoid ( 3 wire solenoid)
( I like to test V from the battery hot terminal to ground terminal rather than ohms as they give funny readings )

4) leave ground jumper in place ( from step 2 ) & try key start.
Starter turns = power connection good but ground connection suspect ( most common )
Confirm it by trying again, extra ground removed

5) Remove the trigger ( thin ) wire / wires from the solenoid.
Ground one on a 4 wire solenoid & bridge from the hot terminal to the other.
Starter cranks = solenoid good.
Solenoid is not polarity sensitive, BUT THE WIRING IS so make sure you remove the thin control wires.
Note a thinner wire on the hot terminal is not a control wire. It is the main power feed to the mower.

From here on things become very mower dependant as starting circuits are getting changed all the time.
Basically the power goes in a loop from the hot side of the solenoid ( saves wire, no other reason ) through the fuse to the B terminal on the key switch then to the PTO switch then to the parking brake switch then to the solenoid trigger switch , easy peasy after you grow the 3rd arm. Use a test lamp and follow the power.
However a lot of mowers with a 4 pole solenoid, run a secondary ground control circuit to the ground solenoid wire through the lap bars.
Then to stop this interfearing with the normal safety function of the ground kill, it goes to a relay with the ground as the switched connection.
These are a PIA as the + control wire to the relay comes from the power loop above and the ground side of the control comes via the normal cut out functions of the lap bars.
Be very careful because if you have a system like this and accidentally send 12V down the ground loop you can fry the magnetos on some circuits.nd from the grounding bolt to one of the starter mounting bolts & paint over both with liquid electrical tape.
Bertsmobile 1,
Had a bit of time to check the situation out. Her's what I did. Instead of using a car or truck for jumping, I used a battery charger. FIrst on 2 amp, setting, then 20, and then 40. Each time the same result. The starter turned and the starter gear engaged the flywheel but would only turn until it came up on the compresssion stroke. I then disconnected the positive lead from the starter and with the charger turned off I connected the charger again to the positive terminal of starter and the neg. to oil drain plug. I the again tried all three amp settings and the same exact results occurred, the starter engaged the flywheel but would not turn the engine over past the compression stroke. Then I removed the spark plug and tried the same thing and even on the chargers first setting of 2 amps, it spun the engine over, and at 20 amps it turned it faster. No need to try the 40 amp setting . At that point I decided that it is probably is the camshaft just as most of the postings here have said, and I need to put this on the back burner for awhile. Winter is coming on and I need to get stuff ready and in shape around here. Perhaps it can be a winter project for myself and my grandkids. Been along time since I've tore one of these small engines apart, so it should be a good re-learning experience for me and a good educational experience for the grandsons who are 10 and 15. Meanwhile I want to thank you and everybody who posted for helping me out and sharing your knowledege with me.
LaVern

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you think about it, that charger maxes out at 40 amps. Most mower batteries are 200-300 or higher Cranking AMPS.
Now if you have a Noco booster that's made for starting that would work but not a charger

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was going to leave it alone but I will put my 2¢ worth in.
When we ask you to do a test it needs to be done as it was requested otherwise we are all wasting our time
The test was designed to confirm the condition of the starting cables but all you have done is confirmed your charger won't crank the engine .
The starter motors pull around 200 amps momentarily when they just start t move then around 40 A while revolving.
We try to keep them simple using stuff that most people would have in their sheds or cars .
While it is probably the cam shaft please follow instructions to the letter it helps everyone else and those who might read the post in the future.

ljms

Threads
I was going to leave it alone but I will put my 2¢ worth in.
When we ask you to do a test it needs to be done as it was requested otherwise we are all wasting our time
The test was designed to confirm the condition of the starting cables but all you have done is confirmed your charger won't crank the engine .
The starter motors pull around 200 amps momentarily when they just start t move then around 40 A while revolving.
We try to keep them simple using stuff that most people would have in their sheds or cars .
While it is probably the cam shaft please follow instructions to the letter it helps everyone else and those who might read the post in the future.
I'm sorry if I have offended any one. I really don't have the time now to get back to it. I will try to get back to it later on. I have saved your instructions for when I have time to get back to it. One of the problems is the location of the solenoid on the Bolens. It's under the seat tucked way up in a corner . Almost have to tear it out to access it. That is another reason early on I alluded to making wiring more simple by removing all the lockout switches since it is no longer being used as a lawnmower. Again, I am sorry if I have offended you or anyone else. I appreciate your input and help. I just have other things I need to do now.
LaVern

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not offended in any way shape or form, just dissapointed