have Craftsman YT4000 wanting to add loader.

YT4000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to this forum, I have a Craftsman YT4000 about a 2010 and need a loader or backhoe but don,t have the funds to buy one. Has anyone built or adapted a loader or backhoe attachment to work on a Craftsman lawn tractor?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lawn tractors are generally too light to attach implements to.
They are pressed from fairly thin steel so impliments tend to bed & warp the frame and that is before you look at the hydro drive .

Garden tractors, while looking very similar are pressed from much thicker steel and are fitted with stronger drives.

YT4000

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a 6 speed and rated as a yard tractor seems to be pretty stout

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't try . It will end up like a pretzel. Learned the hard way you cannot pull a light plow with a lawn tractor. I don't think a loader can even be put on a "garden tractor" (four wheel lugs, stiffer frame, better transmission). Seems like your need is an $8K leap to a small tractor (used).

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum.

:welcome:

I'm going to move your thread on over to the Craftsman section in case you're still looking for more advice.

SARG

Threads
Silly concept.
Forget it and start saving.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never seen it done on a Craftsman. I take it that you have this equipment off another tractor and want to adapt it to the Craftsman? The very first thing is you will want more weight, loaded tires and wheel weights. You will then need hydraulics. Being a vertical engine maybe you can adapt a hydraulic pump to the top of the engine some how other then that remove the mower and drive the hydraulic pump there? I don't know how you plan to mount this equipment to the mower frame. You will just have to weld some brackets? Another thing is to operate the back hoe you will need to do something with the seat. Please show us pictures when you are done to prove it can be done. :thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can put a loader bucket on it. Very small
You mower should have a cast front axle. If not then done add any extra weight to it.
The hydro pump will mount under the mower where the deck would be. And run off of the deck belt. The holes to attach everything should already be there. You will also want more aggressive tires.

A backhoe attachment would also mount to the front. Again very small.

If I was to do this it would only be for moving things like mulch. The mower is really to light duty to make it worth all the work.