Has Honda fixed the rear wheel bushing problem on push mowers?

olgeezershonda

Threads
  • / Has Honda fixed the rear wheel bushing problem on push mowers?
I have a hydro drive 2021 HRX217HY and no problems with it. It's self propelled. I don't push it. Maybe that makes the difference.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am in OZ
Until B & S took over Victa & deleted the Power Torque engine nearly all Aust assembled walk behinds had snorkels because the power torque engine has to have a snorkel as the throttle control runs down inside the snorkel to connect internally to the cab so it can never get snagged , or rust solid .
Honda commercials came std with snorkels & for domestics there was an optional add on
I have probably exported 50 or so snorkels to the US & Canada as I can still get the kits for the square panel filter & the sprint foam filter.
Now only Super Swift come with snorkels as standard and I expect over time the aftermarket suppliers will cease production of the other kits.
All my walk behinds have snorkels and some of them would have thousands of hours on them .
Dads 1962 model is still in daily use & while it has had set of rings, is still on it's original 125cc bore which is annoying as I have all 3 oversizes in stock .

HRN_youtube_Mechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a HRN216 that's less than a year old that has the drive wheel locking up issue. Going to dig into it today to see if it's a bushing or a shaft or something new. All I have so far is the drive system is locking up after working fine for several months. And it wouldn't allow the wheels to roll backwards.

fullboogie

Threads
I have a HRN216 that's less than a year old that has the drive wheel locking up issue. Going to dig into it today to see if it's a bushing or a shaft or something new. All I have so far is the drive system is locking up after working fine for several months. And it wouldn't allow the wheels to roll backwards.

That's not good news. As you can see from this thread, I never got an answer about what exactly changed on the HRN that "fixed" the problem. All I got was "it just changed" and that was never enough to get me to buy an HRN. Keep us posted on what you find.

HRN_youtube_Mechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's not good news. As you can see from this thread, I never got an answer about what exactly changed on the HRN that "fixed" the problem. All I got was "it just changed" and that was never enough to get me to buy an HRN. Keep us posted on what you find.
Found out that the belt had slipped and wedged when my son was using it. It took me about 30 minutes to drop out the rear axle assembly (wheels and all) and get the belt back in.

From what I've seen online, it looks like they went to plastic bushings held in place using metal straps that bolt in. Transmission appears to be the same. It's working fine now.

Briantii

Threads
I fought the bushings forever on my HRR216, stock it’d never go more than a few mows without locking up pulling backwards. I’m to report my HRX217 does NOT have this problem. I think the difference is the extra seal.

smzimmer52

Forum Newbie
Threads
Would something like this work? Previous plastic bushing removed and replaced with a sealed bearing from VXB.com. It is F6202-2RS flanged sealed miniature Bearing 15x35x11x5. This was done on a HR 215. I saw it the other day; bearing is ~ $8.00 each. You have to press the bearing in.

Attachments

• DABC66F4-44F7-4B39-B802-665C2ED99ABA.jpeg
    DABC66F4-44F7-4B39-B802-665C2ED99ABA.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 94F2A4D7-04E9-418D-8E71-9AC5F008E686.png
    94F2A4D7-04E9-418D-8E71-9AC5F008E686.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 6
  • A808CED3-7EAF-4E49-857D-3724834FED00.png
    A808CED3-7EAF-4E49-857D-3724834FED00.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 5B90AB4D-A1EE-42E8-8784-9FDC5ECE343F.jpeg
    5B90AB4D-A1EE-42E8-8784-9FDC5ECE343F.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 6

garyoldfart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello from Ohio
New member...mechanic for many years
have an hrx217 HYA with the locking up trying to go backwards problem when transmission
is in any higher gear than low and even then sometimes.. Owner is unhappy.
Can someone point me to the article(s) on lubing the transaxle. Or talk me through it.
I take it it includes r&r disassembly and lube.
Any help appreciated before i tie into it.
thanks gary