Has Honda fixed the rear wheel bushing problem on push mowers?

fullboogie

Threads
  • / Has Honda fixed the rear wheel bushing problem on push mowers?
My mower is an HRR216VKA that was purchased about 4 years ago. I've used the guides on this forum to "fix" the locking up rear wheel problem many times and I'm just tired of it. Each season I pull everything down, clean/polish/grease, and put it back together. I even have the "recall" rear adjuster/bushings on there. And still, I make it a few months at most and the problem returns.

If Honda has moved on to another design that fixes this problem, which model(s) should I be looking at? Cost is not an issue. I've Googled and searched this forum, but I've only found the older threads that address the original problem. Unfortunately I've seen one or two HD reviews for the $700+ HRX models that mention the same problem as recently as 2021. I've not seen anything about a redesign from Honda that fixes it. Thanks guys.

dfbrown

Threads
Hi. I hope I can help. Yes the hrr216 was a problem with the rear wheels locking up and dragging even new in the showroom floor

The new (since 2019) honda hrn216 models are set up different in the rear. Literally they will roll forward or backwards on a 1 degree hill either way. No b.s. go to a dealer and check one out. Much improved mower then the Honda hrr21.

honda hrx217 I have NOT had them lock up pushing backwards and are better then the hrr216 but has a little drag to it. Manual says take apart clean and grease every 150 hours. I personally do them yearly even though not needed that often like the hrr216. Right rear especially the height adjusters can get stiff to move after some time and dirt sand grime get in there after a while. No biggie though. I know was a fix (updated rear height adjusters. Defin move easier and can get more leverage on it to move height adjusters.

if money is no object. Honda hrc216hxa would be super smooth and roll either way on a 1 degree hill. Butter smooth. Does not need same main as hrr216 or hrx217. Again go to a Honda power equipment dealer and check them out on the floor. I have and have worked on and own a lot of Honda mowers. Know them pretty well. Hope this helps. Good luck ?

fullboogie

Threads
Hi. I hope I can help. Yes the hrr216 was a problem with the rear wheels locking up and dragging even new in the showroom floor

The new (since 2019) honda hrn216 models are set up different in the rear. Literally they will roll forward or backwards on a 1 degree hill either way. No b.s. go to a dealer and check one out. Much improved mower then the Honda hrr21.

honda hrx217 I have NOT had them lock up pushing backwards and are better then the hrr216 but has a little drag to it. Manual says take apart clean and grease every 150 hours. I personally do them yearly even though not needed that often like the hrr216. Right rear especially the height adjusters can get stiff to move after some time and dirt sand grime get in there after a while. No biggie though. I know was a fix (updated rear height adjusters. Defin move easier and can get more leverage on it to move height adjusters.

if money is no object. Honda hrc216hxa would be super smooth and roll either way on a 1 degree hill. Butter smooth. Does not need same main as hrr216 or hrx217. Again go to a Honda power equipment dealer and check them out on the floor. I have and have worked on and own a lot of Honda mowers. Know them pretty well. Hope this helps. Good luck ?
So what did Honda change on the HRN models?

dfbrown

Threads
So what did Honda change on the HRN models?
The set up is completely different. Look at parts breakdown on Honda power equipment website. Or look at pictures. You’ll see. Go to a dealer and see for yourself. Huge difference.

fullboogie

Threads
Thank you for your responses, but that does not answer my question. How exactly has Honda fixed this mess?

dfbrown

Threads
Thank you for your responses, but that does not answer my question. How exactly has Honda fixed this mess?
If I recall looking at one. The 2 way ratchet system is just different and not set up the same as hrx or hrr. Again look at a parts breakdown. It’s hard for me to explain typing it without pictures.
Put it this way. You won’t find a complaint about it online or anywhere having any drag whatsoever. I haven’t see a complain about it once. Would roll down a 1 degree slope. Not kidding. The trans doesn’t run through the height adjusters like older models because of new height adjuster which does both rear at same time 1647310950976.png

dfbrown

Threads
If I recall looking at one. The 2 way ratchet system is just different and not set up the same as hrx or hrr. Again look at a parts breakdown. It’s hard for me to explain typing it without pictures.
Put it this way. You won’t find a complaint about it online or anywhere having any drag whatsoever. I haven’t see a complain about it once. Would roll down a 1 degree slope. Not kidding. The trans doesn’t run through the height adjusters like older models because of new height adjuster which does both rear at same time View attachment 59776
The new 2 way ratchet system on the drive. When you release the drive bar a key In the drive allows the rear wheels to freewheel in forward and reverse 1647311700410.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting
I have ben reading all of these threads wondering what you Yanks are on about because we almost never have these problems with the Honda SP's down here.
However all of the Hondas have been single lever hight adjustment for decades.
They tried to enter the market with the 4 individual height adjusters but the pros would just not by them till they were redone with a single lever & snorkel

dfbrown

Threads
Interesting
I have ben reading all of these threads wondering what you Yanks are on about because we almost never have these problems with the Honda SP's down here.
However all of the Hondas have been single lever hight adjustment for decades.
They tried to enter the market with the 4 individual height adjusters but the pros would just not by them till they were redone with a single lever & snorkel
I’m not sure where you are but I have seen some of the Hondas in uk and Australia. Definitely similar in some ways and very different in other ways. I don’t have a problem with how ours are set up. Single height would be pretty cool. Even a 2 way would be neat like the hrn216. I actually wish we had snorkel kits available here in USA but we don’t for the dust. Australia does because it’s very dry and dusty in areas.
regarding hrr216 those did lock up bad and only worked well if taken apart , cleaned, greased and back together. Hrx217 are not as bad but same idea how it’s set up. Those should be taken apart and cleaned and grease every 150 hours and the gear/ratchets are every 100 hours. I do both yearly before mower goes away for winter. If you don’t do them on the nexite decks over time grass and dust build up can make height adjusters super tight and thr motor torque/ trans can put force and crack thr deck in the rear of deck where height adjusters go through. If service not done Honda won’t cover it. A owner maintenance problem not a manufacturer defect. Just letting you all know.

dfbrown

Threads
I’m not sure where you are but I have seen some of the Hondas in uk and Australia. Definitely similar in some ways and very different in other ways. I don’t have a problem with how ours are set up. Single height would be pretty cool. Even a 2 way would be neat like the hrn216. I actually wish we had snorkel kits available here in USA but we don’t for the dust. Australia does because it’s very dry and dusty in areas.
regarding hrr216 those did lock up bad and only worked well if taken apart , cleaned, greased and back together. Hrx217 are not as bad but same idea how it’s set up. Those should be taken apart and cleaned and grease every 150 hours and the gear/ratchets are every 100 hours. I do both yearly before mower goes away for winter. If you don’t do them on the nexite decks over time grass and dust build up can make height adjusters super tight and thr motor torque/ trans can put force and crack thr deck in the rear of deck where height adjusters go through. If service not done Honda won’t cover it. A owner maintenance problem not a manufacturer defect. Just letting you all know.
8AB477DB-80D8-495F-95AE-AEB68309879D.jpeg