Gt 5000 with no labels

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
what's your preferred splice method?
My preferred method to splice a wire on a mower is to use crimp butt connector and use the proper ratcheting crimper and then use adhesive lined 3:1 shrink tubing. The plier style crimpers are pretty much useless. Crimped and IDC connections need to be gas tight connections and the plier type terminal crimpers just apply enough pressure over a wide enough surface to deform the the metal of the terminalaround the wire to make a good gastight connection. Sometimes i will use a western union splice and solder and use the adhesive lined heat shrink. For larger lugs i have a hydraulic terminal crimper. For indoor low voltage indoor wiring not exposed to moisture i prefer top hat crimp connectors crimped with a ratcheting crimper.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep,
Solder then heat shrink with glue followed by std heat shrink

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
has anyone ever tried those heat shrink tubes with the solder in them?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
has anyone ever tried those heat shrink tubes with the solder in them?
Yes. Not all that impressed. Per the instructions you just push the wires together to interleave them. Not a good physical connection and not much solder that doesn't flow well into the wires. Will they work in a pinch? Probably but i would rather use my old school stuff. I would be curious to what the composition is of the low temp solder used in them.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can never get the solder to stick to the wire.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I can never get the solder to stick to the wire.
You must the appropriate flux and heat. I never had a problem getting most copper wires to accept rosin flux but it is time acid flux must be use. Btw solder usually throw to heat source.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My preferred method to splice a wire on a mower is to use crimp butt connector and use the proper ratcheting crimper and then use adhesive lined 3:1 shrink tubing. The plier style crimpers are pretty much useless. Crimped and IDC connections need to be gas tight connections and the plier type terminal crimpers just apply enough pressure over a wide enough surface to deform the the metal of the terminalaround the wire to make a good gastight connection. Sometimes i will use a western union splice and solder and use the adhesive lined heat shrink. For larger lugs i have a hydraulic terminal crimper. For indoor low voltage indoor wiring not exposed to moisture i prefer top hat crimp connectors crimped with a ratcheting crimper.
Yes homeowner pliers type are virtually useless for making rock crimps. I seem so many crimp connection it isn't funny any more.

As many said solder and heat shrink is one my go to method for water tight connections; although, the new shrink style crimp connectors are nice too. Mainly use the solder and heat shrink due to clearance issues in tight places.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most folks don't realize that crimp connectors using copper wire need to be what is called gas tight. If not then the moisture always present in the atmosphere will react with the copper and dissimilar metal of the crimp connector and will sooner or later fail. A good example are the clamp on the wire battery terminals. I repair lots of trailer wiring. Most new trailers have crap splices and ground connections. Guy brought me a truck where the dealer installed hitch and wiring. Less than 2 years and the scotchlock style connectors and black tape failed. Imagine that. Then you have the wire nut and black tape crowd.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now you forget those that just twist the wires together and use scotch tape.. Still not as bad the user that simply duct tape the walk behind mower blade on.