Greetings from sunny Ocala,Florida

ibbuckshot

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings Y'all, :cool:
Always looking to learn more so I thought I would sign up. I have a Scag Wildcat Z turn with a Kohler 27 hp and an old Wheel Horse Charger 12 again with the Kohler. I like them both and am looking for them to last about 100 years of so.
Have fun,
buckshot

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome from snowy NY. Who knows what will they will be mowing with in a 100 years from now?? If your mower last that long they will be in a museum with people saying how in the world did they use something like that.

ibbuckshot

Forum Newbie
Threads
reynoldston,
Thank you for the welcome. Having lived in North Eastern Pennsylvania for many years we are very happy not to have to plow snow any longer. My old Wheel Horse no longer has a snow plow. I must take issue and debate with you on your thought about the advancement in design and work-ability. I try to buy things that will last. I am sick and tired of Madison Avenue and the way many people are brainwashed into buying less expensive items, whatever they may be. If we are not carefull we end up buying items that come with a less expensive price tag only to find they are made out of junk, designed to ware out in one tenth the time. I am all about quality and out lasting the throw-away life style of todays world. One of the things I learned long ago was from one of my favorite people from history, John Moses Browning. He was the genius firearms designer of Browning Arms. Browning motto was " A poor man can only afford the very best " Case in point is my favorite handgun, the Colt 1911 45 pistol. His design is over 100 years old , going strong and being copied by untold numbers of firearms companies. I only own two of them. I attempt to offer this type of cost effective advise to anyone out there when they think about buying tin machinery from the Big Boxes. But, I guess your right. 100 years from now they may have robotic goats that will be programed to go out and eat the grass and fertilize it at the same time ! ! ! What will Madison Avenue think of next ? ? ?
Have Fun,:laughing:
buckshot

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
reynoldston,
But, I guess your right. 100 years from now they may have robotic goats that will be programed to go out and eat the grass and fertilize it at the same time ! ! ! What will Madison Avenue think of next ? ? ?
Have Fun,:laughing:
buckshot

Thats is one good idea, but you or me won't be here to see it:thumbsup:

ibbuckshot

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, at 67 I'm starting to get a little old and crusty. I don't think I'll make much more the another 40 years. One thing that would be neat would be to look into a Cristal Hub Cap and follow where some of my old machinery and junk ends up years from now.
Have Fun,:cool:
buckshot

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess just go back to 1912 and see what is left of lawn history. They must of had lawns back then but I have no idea how they mowed them? I am going to guess that is why a lot of the old houses were close to the road. I was born in 1941 and can remember my father pushing a non powered push mower. Also the lawns were small.

ibbuckshot

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your right, the homes were very close to the roadway with very small if any lawns. I don't remember them being called "lawns". I was not instructed to mow the lawn. I was reminded it was Saturday morning " go get the mower and cut the grass". I too remember the reel type mower but I don't remember the old man doing the pushing. He had me doing the job. I had to grab the shaft of the mower handle mid way and push because I was not big enough to reach the handle. That didn't last too long before there was a gas powered reel type mower with a Clinton gas engine on it. By that time I was getting almost tall enough to reach the handle and steer the thing around. I was told that running the mower is what Saturday mornings were made for.
Have Fun,:cool:
buckshot

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
To be trueful I don't remember too much about the whole lawn thing. It seems like the first power mower my father brought home was a electric powered mower and that had to be in the 40's. Seeing I wasn't very old at the time I don't remember the dates but my father became a Bolens Dealer in that time somewhere. As I recall a mower was a attachment that went on the front of a walk behind Bolens tractor. The only Bolens rider in them years was a big high thing with the engine way in the front and the driver rode on like a frame with a seat in back of the tractor. I don't recall a mower that went to the rider. Then somewhere along in them years it seems like we always ended up with the junk that didn't sell, something that gave a lot of problems or old trade ins and that is what we mowed with. We never had a shortage of mowers. He ended the dealership in the late 50's. I got married in the 62 and bought my own mower from then on.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You both have reminded me of getting the grass cut with a push reel mower... I remember the first power mower that came to the neighborhood... boy That was too neat. Seems it could mow Anything...

Buckshot you are just a bit north of a good friend of mine, he is in Clearwater... loves that area.
I'm with you on the 45 acp... easy & fun to reload, Ive burnt a lot of powder behind 45's, in Colts and Thompsons ...
Keep shooting, & mowing... :smile:KennyV