Gravely Promaster 44Z informational question

satman858

Threads
I am buying the locking filter wrench type in the photo because the strap type I bought from Harbor freight the first time will not work to install the filter, only to remove it. (It evens say on the packaging made to remove only).

The only reason I am planning on using this locking filter wrench type is to at least snug it tight a bit more than hand tight, is because when it first begins to stop turning using my hand, I can only forcefully hand tighten it about a 1/5th of a turn. You see my Hydro filter is very large as is a
3 3//4 inch filter. Being that big if you can visualize that size filter, it takes a lot to turn it a 1/2 of a turn.

Do you think that with just a little more snug to it with this locking oil wrench very carefully, after my forceful hand tight, it will be okay and good enough?

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never use anything but my hands to tighten a spin on filter. Never had a problem with coming loose. I usually get 1/2 to 3/4 turn and i am old with arthritis. My go to tool to get filters off is a pair of Tekton filter pliers. I have a strap wrench 3 different band wrenches the fluted cup set. The Tekton pliers are the best thing i have found to remove filters put on by folks that think tightest is the bestest. I am amazed how many filters i see with strap wrench dents from putting the filter on.

satman858

Threads
I never use anything but my hands to tighten a spin on filter. Never had a problem with coming loose. I usually get 1/2 to 3/4 turn and i am old with arthritis. My go to tool to get filters off is a pair of Tekton filter pliers. I have a strap wrench 3 different band wrenches the fluted cup set. The Tekton pliers are the best thing i have found to remove filters put on by folks that think tightest is the bestest. I am amazed how many filters i see with strap wrench dents from putting the filter on.

You would not get 1/2 to 3/4 turn on this 3 3/4 inch Hydro filter I have old or not. I can barely get my hands around it to hank tighten it, as it is so big.

bullet bob

Threads
Stupid thought but you DID oil the o-ring first?