Gravely Promaster 44Z informational question

satman858

Threads
I am including a photo of what I believe might be a Hydraulic reservoir of my Gravely Promaster 44Z lawnmower. I pulled out the dipstick and nothing showed up on the dipstick at all. If this is the Hydro fluid reservoir, then how much should it take to fill iit up?

I believe the that if this should be right, then the Ariens Gravely Hydraulic Fluid / Oil #00057100, 15W50 1 Qt / 32 Oz should be the proper Hydraulic fluid for my Gravely Promaster 44Z lawnmower. Would that be correct?

Attachments

• Lawnmower.JPG
    Lawnmower.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
looks like a hydraulic tank. If there is a hose coming off of the bottom that either goes to the pump or to a filter assembly then you will know for sure.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

satman858

Threads
Although Gravely calls it hydraulic fluid it is motor oil in this case. you either the Gravely bottle stuff @$14+ or go to Walmart and buy Mobile One @ around $8 or under if buy 4-5 qt jugs. As for much it takes it is what it take to fill it to the full mark.

Gravely Reference materials: https://support.gravely.com/article/?id=900c1e85-ce7f-e711-80f4-c4346bad526c

Do you know where I can find out how much the capacity is for a Promaster 44Z, because I can not find it in my owners manual?

It.is $7.88 for just 1 quart at Walmart.as shown in the link below:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As far as I can there no publish amount other fill to full line. Now each of the ZT-2800 uses (bottom of fill port) 2284 ml (77.23 fl. oz.) per the HydroGear SM but may not include a filter change as not all unit have external filters installed. And this definitely does not include the reservoir tank and lines.

satman858

Threads
In my Gravely instruction manual when installing a new Hydraulic Filter it tells me this in step number 6.

6.) Spin new oil filter onto filter housing until it makes contact. Tighten oil filter another 1/2 turn.

I always was told that oil filters should only be hand tighten, can turn the filter another 1/2 turn to tighten
unless I use a oil wrench like show in the link below.

So with that here is my question about on this:: Can I use this wrench below to tighten it the 1/2 turn it says to do?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you will find that if you spin the filter on until it makes contact you can probably spin it by hand another 1/2 turn without the wrench.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The problem with the hand tight only is how tight your hand does it up will depend upon your personal strength , how direct the access to the filter is , how clean you hands & the filter is.
So as Ilengine said till it contacts the base the a 1/2 turn
Overtightening is only a problem when you are removing it
Undertightening OTOH becomes a big problem in use.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would not use that kind of wrench to tighten a spin-on filter. Removal would be OK because you're done with that filter but I wouldn't use it on a new filter. Hand tight should be sufficient.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would not use that kind of wrench to tighten a spin-on filter. Removal would be OK because you're done with that filter but I wouldn't use it on a new filter. Hand tight should be sufficient.

Why ?
The worst those pliers would do is to scratch the paint .
Usually I use a strap wrench on oil filters.
Just finished doing a front oil seal on a 2000 series cub .
Customer insisted the seal was leaking despite the fact I showed hin the oil was coming from the loose filter .