Grass and dirt covers operator

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for clearing up a lot of questions. Couple of things you are going to have to do. First you are going to have to contact Toro to clear up your warranty information. Because Home Depot gave you the wrong registration card, I’m assuming you sent it in, Toro has you purchasing a model 75742 and you have a model 75755. Because they have no record of you purchasing a 75755, you will not have any warranty nor will you receive any info from Toro, if a problem should occur with your unit. Second, did Home Depot inform you that you can get an extra year of warranty if you purchased a maintenance kit at the time you purchased the unit? Need both on the same receipt. Now let’s get to your problem. First, looking at your pictures I can see that your landscape contains a lot of sandy soil, and this is the main reason for your problem. This model has a deck designed to lift the grass very strongly for a better cut. Because of this extra lift it is sucking up a lot of sand and other debris. This will do two things. One because of all that sand being sucked up, your blades are going to wear much faster than your old unit. Not much you can do about it, because that is a problem for anyone with sandy soil. This also causes more dust in the air around the unit. Second, if the deck is not leveled properly, discharging all that much debris is going to come out everywhere. Should be able to reduce much of it by setting the deck up properly. I have attached a download of the service manual for your unit, so with it and your owners manual you should be able to set the deck up properly. Hope I’ve answered your questions. If you need more help please feel free to ask more questions. Plus please let us know how everything works out. Good Luck.

Ron3

Threads
up
I just got back from Home depot and they gave me the right Operators Manual. Attached is the Model & Serial numbers from the frame of the mower. I attached a couple of pictures of our yard. I had to reduce the file size and converted them to pdf's. Under a few trees where it is shaded the grass is not as thick and is dustier than elsewhere. We are also have not had a rain in 2 weeks, but during Jully we had a bout 3 rains a week and still had grass and dirt on me & mower. I am about to read the manual to see how and if I can get the deck in the proper pitch to minimize or eliminate powder coating. There were two Toros available when I purchased it and I wanted the 50" since I do mow quite a bit. So the one I picked is the one I have. I don't know how inventory is where you live, but I searched everywhere in a town of nearly 200k and only found a handfull of zero turns. I couldn't get parts for my Bad Boy or I would have fixed it.
I cannot imagine why you could not get parts for your badboy. Please explain. Lol

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forgot to mention that those units MSRP for $4199, so you did get a good price, but not good enough to overcome all your problems.

Coxfarm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Forgot to mention that those units MSRP for $4199, so you did get a good price, but not good enough to overcome all your problems.
I got the proper operator's manual from Home Depot and have sent in the proper registration of the model 75755. I went through the directions on leveling the deck. I must say whomever wrote those instruction on trying to measure the height of the left side blade set at 3" must of had a 6th grader's hands to get under the deck edge and even see. I revised the instructions to a 4" deck height. After all it is just relative geometry. The side to side was just under 1/4", so I left it as is. I then checked front to back difference and found the front was 3/16" lower than the back. I lowered it to 3/8" and mowed 2 strips about 80' in length. I was probably cutting less than 1/2" of grass and still got quite a bit debris on me and the mower. This was in our front yard where we have the thickest grass cover. We really haven't had enough rain to actually mow the yard yet.

I wanted to see if the air filter needed to be changed and was able to only get part of the plastic shroud pulled back. The instructions said there was a rubber tube between the filter and the engine, but in reality the filter sits right on a aluminum manifold. I am starting to wonder why is something like this so different than the printed manual. Having said this before, I purchased a Bad Boy mower 13 years ago and got a CD with the operators manual, schematics of all parts with their part # to reference if ordering. They did not have the Kohler engine information but all the other mower parts. The schematics and parts matched what was on the mower.

I like the ride in this Toro, but if I can't solve this debris problem and wear on the blades, I may need to sell it. The Bad Boy blades lasted at least 3 months before I would need to sharpen them. Within 6 weeks the leaves will start falling creating even more debris. I took the plastic covers off that were over the deck pulleys and the grass was packed as tight as stone. Had to use a screwdriver and a hose to get the debris out. We may have some sand in our soil but we aren't raising melons as the corn 200 bu/ac and soya beans 90 bu/ac. We have to have our fields tiled to remove excess moisture. If we had that much sand, we wouldn't need tiles for sure.
I really appreciate your information and advice. I will give you a heads up when we get some rain and need mowing. That is typical August for this area.
Bob

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tool circled in this picture is what I use to level decks. It is made from a rod coupler and bolt, costs about $2.50 and is much easier to use than anything else I’ve tried. 1/4” off side to side is too much, need to get close to 0. Front to back should be 1/4”. More than that will blow out more debris. From the pictures you posted, you definitely have more sand that you think, causing rapid blade wear. There is nothing you can do to change that. I have no idea why Bad Boy blades would last longer.
1628371613615.jpeg

Lawn Addict
Threads
With the tires aired cold to spec, the front to back slope set @ 1/4", & when an operator gets on, the slope decreases depending on body weight. But that can change slope to front by 1/8" give or take a 1/16" or so., so you would be mowing with a 1/8" slope, which I set my Toro to w/ my weight figured in. And that cut perfect. No blow back at all.

Rivets tool outlined to be made is super. Here is a plastic tool that can get under the deck to blade tips to get the side to side as close to perfect as possible. Cost about $6. I use a large socket that measures 3" tall. Simple.

1628473548911.png

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Technique can make a big difference in how much debris gets blown back on you.

If you're not already doing this, keep the discharge chute pointed downwind as much as possible. Take note of the wind before you start mowing a section and mow into the wind and downwind, not crosswind.

This will also make the air filter last longer.

Use a leaf blower or equivalent to blow off accumulated debris after each mowing. Remove the blower housing mid year and clean the cylinder cooling fins if they need it.

Last edited:

Coxfarm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The tool circled in this picture is what I use to level decks. It is made from a rod coupler and bolt, costs about $2.50 and is much easier to use than anything else I’ve tried. 1/4” off side to side is too much, need to get close to 0. Front to back should be 1/4”. More than that will blow out more debris. From the pictures you posted, you definitely have more sand that you think, causing rapid blade wear. There is nothing you can do to change that. I have no idea why Bad Boy blades would last longer.
View attachment 57838
The bolt and a coupler makes great sense. A true mechanic shining through. I will go back through the leveling sequence as per the Oper. Manual and set the pitch for the front to back at a !/4'. I will try to get my wife to help measure the deck with my 200+ lbs to see what actual conditions I would be mowing at per "7394". The leaf blower is already standard operating procedure and along with usually a water hose per "cpurvis". We had 2.5" of rain over night, so mowing is back on the To Do List.
Thanks again

Coxfarm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The bolt and a coupler makes great sense. A true mechanic shining through. I will go back through the leveling sequence as per the Oper. Manual and set the pitch for the front to back at a !/4'. I will try to get my wife to help measure the deck with my 200+ lbs to see what actual conditions I would be mowing at per "7394". The leaf blower is already standard operating procedure and along with usually a water hose per "cpurvis". We had 2.5" of rain over night, so mowing is back on the To Do List.
Thanks again
Well it is finally dry enough to mow after using the bolt/coupler to level the deck per manual. I was able to get a perfect balance on the side to side measurement and 1/4" lower front than the back. As would be expected the dust was not quite as prevalent today since the rain a few days ago. I attached a picture of the deck with grass cuttings. This is about 1/3 of the normal amount I had been experiencing. That is a partial victory in itself. I spoke with a friend and he said he installed mulching blades on his mower and it drastically cut down on the airborne grass cuttings as well as windrows of heavy grass. Is there any credence in that statement?
Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• Toro 75755 mow 081321.pdf
    93.7 KB · Views: 6

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you do anything to the discharge chute? like raise it up?