GOODBYE TO ELECTRIC

papajack

Threads
I have owned a Ryobi battery-operated Riding lawn mower since 2017. I paid $2400 new. In 2022, I replaced the batteries from 50 to 100 for $1200. I replaced the batteries myself. Two years later, my batteries are not holding a full charge again.
My next purchase will be a gas engine. The maintenance may be a pain, but it will last longer.

I own an EGO battery push mower, too. Replacing the battery costs $300, which I have done twice. It is like buying a new mower. My next push mower will be gas.
I can't wait to be forced to have an electric car.
My Ryobi had one bad battery. Another $239 battery fixed the problem.

papajack

Threads
I do not see electric cars working for the average person. Electric tools, yes. There will never be enough chargers, and the power grid will not support them. You saw what last winter did to the chargers. The government put so many restrictions on building charges that they haven't built a couple in two years. Maine builds zero because it does not have the proper DEI-type people in the state.
One road by me has over two hundred apartments. Where will they charge their cars?
If you want to see what life would be like to charge your car, sit at a gas pump for one hour every 200 miles.

GrumpyCat

Threads
I do not see electric cars working for the average person. Electric tools, yes.
I don’t see that at all.
There will never be enough chargers, and the power grid will not support them.
We have a 50% generating capacity surplus at night. Perfect time for EVs to charge. Easy money for the utility. More money 5o expect capacity.
You saw what last winter did to the chargers.
Nope didn’t see anything but idiots in Chicago who try to drive an EV like an ICE and only fill up when empty. No one had issues who used a simple EVSE at home to charge overnight. Arrive at a Supercharger with a cold depleted battery, bad things happen. Takes at about 30 minutes to warm to a charging temperature and even then it can only charge at 10% of what a 250 kW Supercharger is capable of. So many were connecting, not seeing anything happening, didn’t know what was happening, declared the charger to be broken when it wasn’t. Put it on a 10kW home 240v 50a circuit (40a at 100% duty cycle) every night and it will always be ready in the morning.
The government put so many restrictions on building charges that they haven't built a couple in two years.
”They” as in “government needs to give me things!” Tesla is building thousands without government money.
Maine builds zero because it does not have the proper DEI-type people in the state.
Transportation Secretary Butthead burdened government funding of DCFC with DEI and Woke idealism to the point only 7 have been built in 3.5 years.
One road by me has over two hundred apartments. Where will they charge their cars?
Once Upon A Time those apartments didn’t get air conditioning. Or dishwashers. Or swimming pools, weight rooms, spas, tennis courts, etc. When renters want it they vote with a moving truck, else landlord provides. There are many apartments near me offering EV charging.
If you want to see what life would be like to charge your car, sit at a gas pump for one hour every 200 miles.
More like 20-25 minutes. I have owned and driven a Tesla for 10.5 years as my daily driver.

This past week drove 205 miles one day. Spent 15 seconds unplugging that morning, 15 seconds reconnecting that night. No charging in between. Didn’t start with full battery, arrived home with 90 miles remaining. Cost $6.89 to charge. Simply awful!

Drove 150 miles another day.

Joed756

Threads
Those horseless carriages will never work. Where will we get the gas to keep them running?

GrumpyCat

Threads
Those horseless carriages will never work. Where will we get the gas to keep them running?
Was common back in the day to buy cans of spirits from the druggist to feed the engine.

packardv8

Threads
For anything with batteries, you have to decide if you are OK with the cost. . . . Anyone would be stupid to buy a used electric car.
Just my personal experience, but anyone would be stupid to buy anything made by Ryobi; it's cheap Home Depot loss-leader crappage and failures are not-if-but-how-soon.

The Ryobi genius was the "keep the same battery platform" marketing. The result is one ends up with a pile of 18-volt and 40-volt tools, batteries and chargers in various stages of failures.

jack vines

GrumpyCat

Threads
Just my personal experience, but anyone would be stupid to buy anything made by Ryobi; it's cheap Home Depot loss-leader crappage and failures are not-if-but-how-soon.

The Ryobi genius was the "keep the same battery platform" marketing. The result is one ends up with a pile of 18-volt and 40-volt tools, batteries and chargers in various stages of failures.

jack vines
I do believe EGo and DeWalt have the best batteries. Well, 2nd to Tesla.