Going nuts can't figure out why blades won't engage!!

floridaguy202000

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Going nuts can't figure out why blades won't engage!!
So a few days ago i was mowing and turned off craftsman mower model number 917.259550 because i noticed a lot of old grass under deck. So i got back on started mowing turned Blades on starting cutting grass then heard a pop. I have the gas tank off but it seems this craftsman don't have a blade engagement cable? I have looked under the deck and see no place to put any springs. And the blade level is very hard to push up now.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So a few days ago i was mowing and turned off craftsman mower model number 917.259550 because i noticed a lot of old grass under deck. So i got back on started mowing turned Blades on starting cutting grass then heard a pop. I have the gas tank off but it seems this craftsman don't have a blade engagement cable? I have looked under the deck and see no place to put any springs. And the blade level is very hard to push up now.

Did the belt break ?

I would take the deck off then try to move the lever if it moved easy then you need to look at the deck. Make sure the idler pulley moves as it should

Google the model number and you can pull up a pic of the deck.

floridaguy202000

Forum Newbie
Threads
No belt looks great. Just blades won't engage. Something has to be missing just have no idea what.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, your mower has rods that move and tighten the belt when you move the lever. You need to get down on the ground and watch when you have a helper move the
engage lever, as well as the deck lift lever and see what is up, it will be pretty straightforward.

Here is a link to the blowup online.

CRAFTSMAN Tractor Mower deck Parts | Model 917259550 | SearsPartsDirect

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like it just puts tension on the engage lever.

Move the deck parts by hand to tighten the belt, so you see how it works, it will be clear then.