GCV160 or 190 governor oil leak

JBtoro

Threads
Noticed that I have this common leak from where the governor shaft protrudes from the crankcase. Honda machined a recess for a seal but does not include the seal with a new engine. Two videos, Taryl & Doublewide 6, show how to insert the proper seal but warn that you have to be careful not to push too hard on the shaft otherwise it might, emphasize "might," fall into the engine. They warn about the potential but say that they are not certain. Reason I ask is because it would be a whole lot easier to tap the seal into place with the appropriate size socket vs trying to wedge it into place with a screwdriver or punch while holding the shaft (to keep it from sliding) with pliers (see below). Anyone ever actually lost the shaft into the engine? Or is the shaft in fact otherwise secured so that this mishap can't occur.

governor shaft.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It has been my experience with those engines that the oil leaks around the shaft when the engine is overfilled with oil. Most people fill the oil up to the top of the threads but in reality the proper oil level is lower as marked on the dipstick.

JBtoro

Threads
It has been my experience with those engines that the oil leaks around the shaft when the engine is overfilled with oil. Most people fill the oil up to the top of the threads but in reality the proper oil level is lower as marked on the dipstick.
Agree with you. But I am & have been conscious of Honda's oil checking method; i.e., insert & lay the dipstick on top of the tube but don't screw it in. Yet I have oil accumulating around & just below the governor shaft on both a GCV160 & a GCV190. Actually, I am not surprised that I haven't gotten many replies on this issue because most are not aware of it. Here is Doublewide6's video:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is what i am getting at. in the following picture of the GCV160-190 dipstick the skip line across the dipstick about an inch from the bottom is the full mark. When that engine is full of oil the oil level is below the governor shaft. There is no reason for the oil to leak around the shaft other than minor seepage that will collect dust with or without the seal.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only time I’ve encountered an oil leak there, if it is not over filled, is when the customer is mowing on a steep side hill with that side of the engine down slope..

JBtoro

Threads
Here is what i am getting at. in the following picture of the GCV160-190 dipstick the skip line across the dipstick about an inch from the bottom is the full mark. When that engine is full of oil the oil level is below the governor shaft. There is no reason for the oil to leak around the shaft other than minor seepage that will collect dust with or without the seal.

I see your point about the appropriate oil level being below the the gov. shaft but I still suspect the seal. I have included a picture of my dipstick along with the one you referenced at Jack's. They are different for some reason. Anyway, there are 9 diamonds (the etchings on the stick look kinda like diamonds) on my stick and my level (though hard to see because my oil is very clean) presently is 3 below the top diamond. So definitely not overfilled. Yet my gov. shaft is coated with oily grime as in the blurry picture (sorry, couldn't focus better for some reason). In fact there is a considerable amount on the deck below the shaft as well. BTW, my yard is flat, a little bumpy in places, but flat. Appreciate your input; I am open minded about this and I have seen your other posts which are very insightful.

gov oil.jpg

nbpt100

Threads
Why not just install the seal per Double wides video? While the engine is running oil is splashed all over the place and theoretically it could leak out regardless if it is above or below the shaft. It looks pretty simple for someone with average mechanical ability. If that is the problem it should solve it. Good luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just a thought, have you checked to see if the breather is working properly. If it is not you could be building crankcase pressure causing oil to find the easiest way out. If the breather is the problem, putting a seal there won’t help, just be blown out. That’s what my average mechanical ability tells me to check.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If everything is working properly the crankcase should be operating under a vacuum therefore oil won't leak around the governor shaft. Honda doesn't install a seal there because since the shaft is above the oil level and everything is operating properly it won't leak. Other engine manufacturers don't use a seal for the shaft if the shaft is normally above the oil level. Look at any old briggs, kohler etc.

JBtoro

Threads
Good points all. But remember my original post was simply to see if anyone has attempted this (guess not) and could weigh in on Taryl & Doublewide's warning that the gov. shaft could potentially (they are not certain) slip back into the engine when installing the seal.