GCV160 or 190 governor oil leak

Zuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Noticed that I have this common leak from where the governor shaft protrudes from the crankcase. Honda machined a recess for a seal but does not include the seal with a new engine. Two videos, Taryl & Doublewide 6, show how to insert the proper seal but warn that you have to be careful not to push too hard on the shaft otherwise it might, emphasize "might," fall into the engine. They warn about the potential but say that they are not certain. Reason I ask is because it would be a whole lot easier to tap the seal into place with the appropriate size socket vs trying to wedge it into place with a screwdriver or punch while holding the shaft (to keep it from sliding) with pliers (see below). Anyone ever actually lost the shaft into the engine? Or is the shaft in fact otherwise secured so that this mishap can't occur.

View attachment 53190
I picked up a Yardman mower with a Honda 160 engine. After cleaning the carburetor and running the mower. It was time to see why there was a good deal of oil on and around the deck and engine.
I cleaned the oily mess up and cut some grass and to my surprise I didn’t see any oil leaks anywhere on the entire engine and deck. I put the mower away and intended to sell soon.
I never got around to posting it but I had a potential buyer, my neighbor. I brought it to him and it ended up sitting in his garage for a few weeks. Anyway it didn’t work out with him. Soon after I had a woman ask if I had a good mower. Yes I said, but when I was getting ready to bring it to her, I noticed an oil streak below the governor shaft area. This motor had not been running since I last cut grass 3-4 weeks ago. But from what was on the mower when I got it and seeing the amount from statically sitting. I researched and found out about the seal that can minimize the oil weeping. I was going to make some decent cash on this mower and I didn’t want to give this lady any reason to question her buying it.
Ordered the seal. Received the seal. Unfortunately, I lost the shaft while trying to seat the seal.
I have been trying all manners of ways to retrieve the shaft with no luck. Of course magnets are part of my approach. Later today I intend to try various hemostats or roach clips. I am also trying to find my slender magnet I have.
If all else fails, you know what’s next. I do not have very much experience with engines internally. And absolutely none with Honda engines.
Can anyone advise me on the easiest approach to opening this case? Remember I literally have no idea of what I may encounter during splittin the case. Does the engine need to be removed from the mower? How about the flywheel? Do I need any gaskets or things to watch out for?
I appreciate everyone’s time in helping me out. I know it takes time to just post a reply.
And by the way. I don’t recommend installing this seal if you don’t have to. I should have just sent a few links that describe the known leak of Honda engines to the woman. I then would have suggested to her to wipe up the oil before mowing. I’m bummed out!