Gasoline vs Diesel Mower Engines

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Diesel is definitely much more economical... :smile:KennyV

indypower

Threads
Diesels also have more "useable" power and a lot more torque. And last longer than gas engines.

touree

Threads
I used to think that gasoline was cheaper and more convenient, being a liquid plus also the ability to burn easily. However, I am realizing people are preferring diesel and reading this thread just confirmed that.

JasonB

Threads
Go with the Diesel, if you can afford it, otherwise there is nothing wrong with Gas either. I started my side line mowing business with an Agco Allis 1614H with 14hp Kohler gas mower, great machine and later aquired an Agco Allis 1920H with 20hp Kohler Gas machines, they worked exceptional well but with gas prices on the rise, it was either get out of commerical grass cutting or go Diesel.... So now I have 4 Diesel Deere mowers, and only use the Gas mowers as a backup machine... But the fuel economy of the Diesel can't be beat in my opnion.

Take Care Jason B

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am biased towards gasoline lawn mowers. This is because my understanding of diesel is it's harder to burn. I also think its' dirtier. But a lawn mower review has made me think my knowledge is vastly outdated. The review says diesel is more efficient and cleaner. So, I'm missing a lot here.

How would you compare gasoline and diesel lawn mowers? Which one would you recommend?

Buying a Diesel mower over a Gas mower is a personal preference and you'll get varied opinions on the subject, like you I am biased towards gasoline lawn mowers. Your choice should be based on you the operator, what you're going to use the mower for, and how much actual run time is involved.
If you're a commercial operator and you're running 10 to 12 hours a day or someone who owns say 1500 acres of farm land then yes I could see where a diesel may be the preferred method of use, but if you are a residential operator maybe running 3 to 4 hours a day, to me it's not worth the extra trouble it would cause.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like the majority of experienced engine users have pointed out Diesel is the way to go for lowest maintainable and longest dependability:thumbsup:...

BUT one other large consideration... You can buy diesel today and still burn it years in the future, with normal storage. Never going to have a stale fuel issue...
I have parked my Cat equipment for over 2 years, Replaced the batteries and fired up immediately... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like the majority of experienced engine users have pointed out Diesel is the way to go for lowest maintainable and longest dependability:thumbsup:...

I agree with that statement, but unless you're are ready to own that piece of equipment or vehicle for the next twenty years I can't see where it can be cost effective. I judge things by what I see around me and to look around at the Lawn-Care industry I see 99% of Large LCO's and small all using Gas equipment so my question is why View attachment 849 there must be a reason.

Don't get me wrong, Diesel has a place and its place is in front of the eighteen wheeler or in the heavy equipment sector or perhaps as I said before maybe the farmers and huge landowners or people who travel pulling a trailer 365 days a year, it's great it's the way to go. :smile:

jenkinsph

Threads
I agree with that statement, but unless you're are ready to own that piece of equipment or vehicle for the next twenty years I can't see where it can be cost effective. I judge things by what I see around me and to look around at the Lawn-Care industry I see 99% of Large LCO's and small all using Gas equipment so my question is why View attachment 849 there must be a reason.

Don't get me wrong, Diesel has a place and its place is in front of the eighteen wheeler or in the heavy equipment sector or perhaps as I said before maybe the farmers and huge landowners or people who travel pulling a trailer 365 days a year, it's great it's the way to go. :smile:

In the last twenty years small diesel engines have become more prominent, better engineered and designed, which has made them more cost effective than ever before. Today these small diesels are gaining popularity because they are good effective choices for small engine users.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the last twenty years small diesel engines have become more prominent, better engineered and designed, which has made them more cost effective than ever before. Today these small diesels are gaining popularity because they are good effective choices for small engine users.

That is absolutely correct and for at least 20 years small diesel engines have dominated commercial industrial applications...
:smile::smile: KennyV