Gasoline vs Diesel Mower Engines

macky

Threads
I am biased towards gasoline lawn mowers. This is because my understanding of diesel is it's harder to burn. I also think its' dirtier. But a lawn mower review has made me think my knowledge is vastly outdated. The review says diesel is more efficient and cleaner. So, I'm missing a lot here.

How would you compare gasoline and diesel lawn mowers? Which one would you recommend?

lizard

Threads
Diesels are good for contractors who do lots of hours......but if you are just a domestic.......stick with petrol...........lot cheaper.:laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Diesel is much more dependable, lots less to give you problems... safer in that the fuel is less volatile... and will be less expensive to operate... Only the initial cost of the equipment when purchased new will be a bit higher...

To accomplish work ... always try to get DIESEL ... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
IMO diesel rules.I can cut 4x the lawn on a tank of diesel over gas.They are easier to maintain and work on and last a heck of a lot longer than a gas engine. russ

lizard

Threads
If you are doing a lot of hours.........go for a Diesel..........otherwise Petrol is good.....no problems.
Like Trucks.........most a Diesel.......because they do long hours and are more economical on fuel.
Personally prefer Diesel anyday over Petrol.......its just magic.......they never die!:confused2:

macky

Threads
Wo hooow! You're all absolutely persuasive :) I'm almost convinced.

Diesel's more expensive at the front end. I understand it's also more expensive on the maintenance side. But you're saying all that can be compensated by fuel efficiency and longer life. Do I get you right?

Lastly, is diesel clean? Doesn't it emit soot or something? Gosh I hate soot.

lizard

Threads
Wo hooow! You're all absolutely persuasive :) I'm almost convinced.

Diesel's more expensive at the front end. I understand it's also more expensive on the maintenance side. But you're saying all that can be compensated by fuel efficiency and longer life. Do I get you right?

Lastly, is diesel clean? Doesn't it emit soot or something? Gosh I hate soot.

Todays Diesels are clean as they are so refined compared to older diesels......they may cost more but they last up to 40,000 hours........so yeah they are so good.......bulit to last.
They start good and run forever......have a 6 horse power diesel with 41,000 hours on it......it is 50 years old......never been touched beside oil changes.:thumbsup:

Manny

Threads
I still use a gasoline-powered mower, but I always thought that diesel was better for the environment, and also it was cheaper to run. I may consider a diesel engine for my next purchase.

jenkinsph

Threads
I have had a lot of mowers but recently purchased a new one with diesel, works great and uses less fuel than the older gas jobs.

Steve

173abn

Threads
Steve,is it a Yanmar diesel? russ