Repairs Gas tank replacement for Craftsman (part #179115 )?

Tonto Basin

Forum Newbie
The gas tank (part # 179115) on my Craftsman GT5000 has developed small cracks. I'm obviously concerned about the safety of this situation. Does anyone know of a replacement tank?
 
Sears says it is no longer available so it is now time to do an on-line search or a walk around through your local mower grave yard to try to find a replacement.

Tom
 
I just went threw the same thing not avalible I did a search and found that the same tank is in the huaqvarna which is what I have both are the same I finally found one on ebay guy had 2 with about 20 people watching so I bought price was outragous anyway I still have my tank mine was cracked where the gas gauge is on the side of the fenderleft hand side. I looked at a lot of videos about plastic repair and the only thing I see that would work is I think is sold at Eastwood is PR51 . There is a youtube video, you will lose your gas gage though.
 
You are good. I could not find anything on the sears website except "not available" with nothing superseding it.
Tom
Did this end up being a direct replacement? I have a similar issue with mine, 917.275280 and a customer's machine, 917.273461, pn 179115.
 
I just went threw the same thing not avalible I did a search and found that the same tank is in the huaqvarna which is what I have both are the same I finally found one on ebay guy had 2 with about 20 people watching so I bought price was outragous anyway I still have my tank mine was cracked where the gas gauge is on the side of the fenderleft hand side. I looked at a lot of videos about plastic repair and the only thing I see that would work is I think is sold at Eastwood is PR51 . There is a youtube video, you will lose your gas gage though.
I had thought about cleaning up the plastic and spraying truck bed liner over the cracks. Was that your idea?
 
Go to Eastwoods and buy one of their plastic welding kits.
I use the milk bottles ( HDPE ) to weld up cracked fuel tanks with 100% success.
However the tank HAS TO BE CLEAN, and that is CLEAN with a capital K
 
plastic welding kits. K

I don't know if i am doing something wrong but i have not had much luck "welding" my tank(s).

While it is not a physical permanent fix, it has lasted several years on multiple equipment (stihl tank, briggs tank, etc)
It is goop in the walmart tape\glue section brand Goop in yellow tube.

I just rough the surface with sandpaper clean surface w/thinner, apply.
fwiw.
 
Back
Top