Gas & Oil from filter

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Occasionally it can be some trash in the fuel that gets stuck between the needle and seat.... usually the rubber gets old/wore, gasoline and rubber do not seem to mix.... More so the ETHANOL in the gas.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This model is a push mower, 20". Does not seem to have a fuel filter, definitely no fuel cutoff. It does seem to use quite a bit of oil. I wonder if I can clean the carb using SeaFoam, and see if that helps the needles.
I've never heard a positive anything from anyone using waste-of-money-foam. It will not help you. Only lighten your wallet up a bit.

Get a carb rebuild kit for that engine.
Install a good paper fuel filter to the carb.
Install a fuel cut off valve inline to the carb.
Use real gas and stabilizer year round.
Keep the air filter "hospital" clean.
Change your oil. Run engine and smell oil dipstick for gas smell.
Clean the dirt and oil from the engine block cooling fins.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I use a Wix 33011 for all small engine filters.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
For riders maybe. Pushers need a smaller paper filter. I like to install a shut off inline while I'm there.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Actually I use it on everything.... Pushers, or riders, fuel pump or gravity.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the valve lash.
Some engines decompress on the inlet valve
This will of course cause some of the charge being blown back out the carburettor
If the valves are really badly adjusted then a lot of gas will be blown back out of the carb
Then there are of course the standing waves , commonly called reversion .
Not usually seen at mower speeds.

A mixture that is too lean will also cause blow back out of the carb as will timing that is too far advanced.

1saxman

Threads
Does it blow white or blue smoke when running? When you tilt the mower up for whatever reason always raise the carburetor side. If you raise the muffler side it will cause this problem, then you'll have to put another new air filter on it. If you don't ever do that and it doesn't smoke/burn oil, it could have a bad lower crank seal. Tilt it up (engine off, of course) and look for an oily mess around the shaft.

QuiGonJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've never heard a positive anything from anyone using waste-of-money-foam. It will not help you. Only lighten your wallet up a bit.

I used SeaFoam on my RV Generator and it did a great job. Took it from barely running and stalling out to running nice and smooth.

Right now it seems to leak gas out the filter area mostly some time after it has been shut off (like when I put it back in the shed). If that help diagnose.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used SeaFoam on my RV Generator and it did a great job. Took it from barely running and stalling out to running nice and smooth.

Right now it seems to leak gas out the filter area mostly some time after it has been shut off (like when I put it back in the shed). If that help diagnose.
Might want to get that fuel leak repaired asap. Don't risk burning down your mower, shed and house.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

sure sounds like the needle/seat is leaking some... eventually it can fail all together and fill your crankcase up with fuel.. Not good if you dont notice it..
I would also install a inline fuel cutoff, wont be a fix, but will stop it from leaking over... I only use the genuine briggs and stratton fuel shutoffs as the few CCP ones i purchased start springing leaks fairly quickly,