Gas & Oil from filter

QuiGonJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Murray MTD-11A-02BT706.

Sometimes when I mow, it spits out gas (or even oil mixed with gas) from the Air Filter area. Can someone tell me why this is doing this? What would I need to do to fix it? Or is it a major problem with the engine and do I need to just get a new mower. It is probably at least 2 years old, and no more than 5 years old.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Check your oil level, if it's overfull and smells like gas, you have a leaky needle in the carburetor, it limits the amount of fuel that is allowed into the bowl and when it fails, it lets the gas flow right on by...
Main thing right now is just be sure the oil isn't gas diluted and/or overfull m

1saxman

Threads
And your air filter will be soaked with oil. Definitely get that fixed as it will ruin the engine. Don't forget to change the oil.

QuiGonJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I checked, mower is about 4.5 yrs old. Not sure if it is worth getting the carb fixed or just getting a new mower.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. I checked, mower is about 4.5 yrs old. Not sure if it is worth getting the carb fixed or just getting a new mower.
A simple carb cleaning costs about 3 bucks. New mower costs........... $$$$

slomo
And your air filter will be soaked with oil. Definitely get that fixed as it will ruin the engine. Don't forget to change the oil.
What? Oil in the air filter will ruin an engine? If anything, it will STOP any dirt trying to get by, protecting the engine. Might not breathe as well??

Like Scrubcadet10 said, check oil level. Check to see if YOUR engine requires you to park the dipstick on top of the threads when checking oil level OR screwed all the way in. Makes a big difference in oil level.

Might be a blown head gasket. Start the engine. Remove the oil dipstick. If you see and feel oil or blow-by rushing out heavily, no good.

Get a fuel cut off valve and install it in the fuel line. Shut the fuel OFF after mowing. A nice paper fuel filter wouldn't hurt either. Proper clamps and fuel line sounds about right. 100% real gas and stabilizer year round is a nice touch. Never have carb issues again.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Forgot to add. Don't forget to remove the starter/blower cover and remove all the grass, oil, dirt and bugs around the cylinder block cooling fins. I feel better now.

slomo

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 1994 Cub Cadet and a 2001 Kubota. No plans to replace them anytime soon.

1saxman

Threads
If its a pleated paper filter, yes, it will make it run rich and wash oil off the cylinder wall. If its a sponge filter that is normally oiled, the engine will suck the excess oil out of it in a short while.
OP; you have a stuck float. Tap on the carb to loosen it. You should be running a stabilizer/cleaner like Startron which for the most part will prevent this kind of problem.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It may be a stuck float, but the needles can fail... Especially if it's a rubber tipped one.
The needle failed on my courage last fall, I pulled it apart and put came the needle, then put came the rubber point on the needle,.

QuiGonJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
This model is a push mower, 20". Does not seem to have a fuel filter, definitely no fuel cutoff. It does seem to use quite a bit of oil. I wonder if I can clean the carb using SeaFoam, and see if that helps the needles.