Funny picture thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've mistakenly got un salted or lightly salted potato chips before, Yuck.. not as good as with salt
Fresh cooked chips with fresh ground red pepper, try it and you will never want salted chips again.
Ground dried tomato is good on chips as is sesseme seed .
Get some pepper in all 3 colours, green , red & black .
Green & red are a bit hard to grind as they are soft but the flavour difference is worth the effort
I make a lot of spice mixes ( ginger is good on hot chips as well ) and then store them in the freeze to prevent them going off .
Decades ago I worked with a Ceylonese reffugee who showed me the difference between real fresh spices and the muck we bought at supermarkets,
Never bought a pre ground herb or spice since.
If I can not grow it, or get it fresh then I buy whole seeds / pods etc then grind it as needed and most are stored in air tight jars in the freezer because the flavour drops off very quickly.

The difference is best explained as the difference between coffee made from fresh ground beans which has a wonderful complex flavour & powdered instant coffee which is basically just bitter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You get use to them when you have to. I just wish there was other flavors than just plain. Actually there is a lot old ways of cooking I had to give up but at least there ways to around some of the taste problems.

Yes low foods that time to get use to. As the potato chips I just wish there was other flavors as I miss my sour cream and onion ones.

Boy you that right home grown is a lot better taste wise plus you how it was grown. I even grew my self a few pineapples boy what difference than those so called fresh pineapples in the stores.I really miss my fruit trees since I moved and it does take time to get seedlings big enough to produce fruit.

Sweet potato leaves is one I haven't heard of. I might try those next Summer. DO cook them or just eat them raw?
Both
Small , about the size of your biggest coin , fresh whole or rough chopped.
Like a lot of things they get bitter as they grow ( discourages leaf chewing bugs ) but up to about 3" across they get chopped fine & actually taste really good on sweet potatoe chips .
Any bigger & it is cooked into curries or stews , I would not sit down to a bowl of boiled leaves , goes well with basil ( I have 6 different basils ) to counter the sweetness , expecially is mixed with any nut oil as a dressing for baked tomatoes.
My problem was because OZ has no iodine in our soils ( or any other iodide metals , Sellenium ,Tellurium etc ) I got an iodide metals defficency because that is added to Aust table salt and we were not eating much in the way of salt. In fact now because table salt use has diminished or been replace with "mystic" red rock salt , Iodides are now added to all commercial baking flours.
I now add an Iodine metal micro fertalizer , designed for hydro gardening to the compost which seems to have worked .

I can eat butter , and the favourite lazy meal is a single patatoe & single onion 90 seconds on #8 topped with garlic or ginger butter & sprinkled with fine diced young carrot tops served with mixed green leaves tossed in sessame or peanut oil, takes about 3 minutes .

If you can't eat butter then substitute Hummus for the butter.
Really lazy snack is seaweed rice crackers with one of the home made hummuses.
Got a receipe out of a vegan cook book for egg plant hummus , never thought of doing that and have been doing variations on it for decades.
largely use hummus as a substitute for butter in dressings and on bread to replace butter or margurine

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have lived in the Southeast [Actually in North Alabama most of it]. I have never understood the panic either. All you got to is prepare for it. I just treat the days like this as vacation days. I in for a few days of extra vacation this week. I got about a half inch of ice this morning covering everything. I think TDOT slipped up this time as I didn't see them pre-treating the state road near me. My county road never get treated but it is flat and level so if take it slow the the intersection I okay from there. Alabama almost never treat their roads until it is too late.

Heck the last really bad tornado out break my family and I was without electrical power for 5 weeks and we survived though the bbq was wanting to go on vacation afterwards. We live close enough to the Tennessee state line that we always go for items if needed.

Boy I didn't get much rest however because of all the chainsaw repairs. I sold nearly 150' of chain. All the big boys were out of loops and had no way of making them from bulk chain. This weekend I only did a couple loops. But got to get another 100' spool of 3/8lp chain but the Spring tornado season. Probably ought make up several 18" loops too while I at it. Kinda glad most users here use .050 gauge only with a few of the .058 and .063 gauge.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, Just remember eggplant tends to get rather strong if not young and tender but a good salt water bath over night usually draws most of that out. Just got pat them dry afterward to remove as much of the salt water as you can before cooking.

Tnx for the other tips as this no-salt diet is hard to get use to especially after 60 yrs of using salt on nearly everything. The no-salt butter is was one the first things I had to switch over to along olive oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, Just remember eggplant tends to get rather strong if not young and tender but a good salt water bath over night usually draws most of that out. Just got pat them dry afterward to remove as much of the salt water as you can before cooking.

Tnx for the other tips as this no-salt diet is hard to get use to especially after 60 yrs of using salt on nearly everything. The no-salt butter is was one the first things I had to switch over to along olive oil.
Hope it goes well for you.
Have a good look at all of the seed oils, particularly for dressings but check that you are allowed to eat them first as some are very high sodium .
Mustard seed oil gets a big workout down here, a thin wipe over the fry pan before cracking the eggs in makes an amazing difference to the flavour, then another quick wipe if you do them sunny side down .
Young & tender is good for eggplants that are going to be eaten raw.
However there are hundreds of varieties that are no where as bitter as the giant purple globe which is what is grown commercially, again because they are sold by weight.
If you grow then yourself, pick before they start to swell up at the bottom and no longer than 8" .
The finger varities are much nicer to cook & eat , the skins are no where near as Texan .
The giant purple makes good hummus but we only grow 1 or 2 plants a season where as we will plant 10 or so zebra / yellow / green .
read through this link for some ideas egg plant varieties