FS691V Kawasaki - No crank / rotate

tibadoe

Threads
So I have a the FS691V on a mini skid steer with 125 hours. Ran fine - no starting issues - until this past weekend.

Fired it up and rolled out the garage. Got a scoop of dirt. After unloading the dirt I restarted the engine and moved it over to the shade and parked it. Went to fire it up again that evening to move back into garage - and was unsuccessful. Engine turn over half to a rotation and stopped. Almost like cylinder compression was not released. The battery is 3 years old and is rotated on a tender.

I did some reading on other threads and see others have have experienced pretty much the same issue. Some conclusions were maybe the valves could be out of adjustment and not releasing compression. Or worse - something snapped/broke and stopping piston rotation. Didn't see any follow-up posts saying what was the issue/fix was.

Starting with the basics and checked battery voltage and load tested. Both were fine. Next I will remove spark plugs and see if engine rotates. If engine rotates, I will pull valve covers and check valve clearances.
Any other ideas are welcome.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
pull the plugs and try to start, you might want to check to see if any fuel shoots out of the plug hole too.

tibadoe

Threads
Pulled both plugs and it would not turn over. Checked solenoid and ignition switch with a test light. Will see what voltage I get when I get another pair of hands.

So that leaves me thinking if it's something simple -- maybe it could be starter? If not, possibly valve issues or major break somewhere.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the blower housing off & check that the starter pinion is not jambed in the flywheel .
Some times a tap will relieve it
Can you turn the engine over by hand or is the flywheel stuck ?
A loose magnet on the flywheel can also lock the engine by jambing into the stator.
The latter is a very common problem with skid steers .
Not sure of how kwakka engines handle it but the Kohlers we use down here do it all the time .
Some times it is a tiny bit of magnetic gravel.

tibadoe

Threads
Problem I'm running into is access is very-very limited. I will see what I can do.

tibadoe

Threads
OK - the pieces of the puzzle are coming together.
NOTE exhibit A:
YKsiB8E.jpg

1. When engine would not start, I tested the battery first. Noticed a "SPRING" (far left in pic) wedged up under engine. Didn't ring a bell at the time.
2. When I took off rear panel on skid steer to get better access, I found a "STOPPER" (middle in pic) lying a level down in the very bottom floor of the machine where hydraulics are located. Thought that may have been for the spring I found a couple days earlier.
3. When I took off the starter, the "GEAR SPUR" (far right in pic) fell down from the flywheel area. When I picked the gear up I looked at the starter wondering what happened to the "BOLT" and where did it go????
4. After getting the "SPRING" from inside and looked the starter over I found the "NUT". Missing "NUT" stuck under the bottom flange nut. NOTE exhibit B:
rlCLat8.jpg

5. Nut threads were stripped down smooth. See exhibit C:
zBYUNOM.jpg

6. Looked up the parts diagram and it looks like a few pieces may still be missing: Seal #92093, part #14020,part #39108.
7. Tested started in it spun up fine.

Will need to order some parts and get it put back together.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not quite the way I would have expected the starter pinion to jamb
MAke sure you get the right nut for the top of the starter.
It is not a regular nut , should be deformed to prevent it backing off

tibadoe

Threads
.....MAke sure you get the right nut for the top of the starter.
It is not a regular nut , should be deformed to prevent it backing off
Thanks. I looked up the parts diagram from JSE. Showing Part #922107040 for NUT,5/16 24.

Will also check locally to see if anyone has the part.

tibadoe

Threads
I noticed that the parts diagram shows no lock nut. So would I just tighten down and use some blue Loctite???

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That will work.
However like to smack the top of the nut with a cold chisel and put a little V deformation across the top.
That is generally enough to stop it backing off .