Freshly Acquired Snapper V21 Aluminum Body

hurst1979olds

Threads
I just acquired this Snapper V21. It has a Briggs 3.5hp on it. I'm not sure of the year, where can I look find the year? The motor was locked up solid, but some Seafoam Deep Creep penetrant has it loosened up. I will go through the carburetor sometime this week hoping to have it running soon. I also sprayed a ton of Penetrant into the carburetor to help loosen it up when I go to clean it up.

Where can I get a side shoot or a mulching plug for it?

Attachments

• 20140622_203010.jpg
    20140622_203010.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 98

Snapperfreak

Threads
The first digit in the serial number on the deck is the last digit in the year it was made. If s/n starts with a 7 it's a 1977 model. Best place for those parts would be eBay.

hurst1979olds

Threads
Where abouts is the s/n I only saw the one on the engine. I will be getting the number when I get home. Then hopefully a quick clean of the carb, sand the magneto for spark and oil change just to see if I can get it to fire. Then I'll get a carb rebuild kit and go further. Just don't see sinking alot of money into it unless I know it will be good.

Any tips? I know my way around these mowers, just not this old.

Snapperfreak

Threads
The s/n is on top of the deck behind the engine. It might be only 6-digits long on those older ones. I'm sorry I can't help with the engine much, I'm not really mechanically inclined that way but it looks like it will clean up nicely and a carb kit isn't much, maybe $15 I think. I'd guess that's an early '70s unit, maybe '72 or '73. But it looks good, hope it works out for u.

hurst1979olds

Threads
Deck s/n: ?4076 the sticker tag is worn on the first number and can't read it

Engine s/n: 92908-0703-01 7206168

Mow Joe

Threads
The engine was made in 1972. My family had a Snapper dealership from 76 until the early 90s. Your mower is older than any we ever sold.

Snapperfreak

Threads
My best guess is '72 or '73. That's a neat old mower.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can I have it?

Man that's a nice piece.

I will agree with 1973.

Would be nice to get that engine going.
What you have is the best cutting push mower ever made.

hurst1979olds

Threads
Thanks guys. This was my grandfathers. He loved this old mower. He used until he sold his house 2004. Then it sat behind my parents shed, it was covered up. He passed away last October and I want to get it going again. I have a newer John deere push I got going that someone was throwing out, so I'll see that and use this. Any suggestions on where to get these parts?

I just put a new plug on and grounded it and there's no spark. I cleaned the contacts and still nothing. I'll pick up a magneto and carb kit.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks guys. This was my grandfathers. He loved this old mower. He used until he sold his house 2004. Then it sat behind my parents shed, it was covered up. He passed away last October and I want to get it going again. I have a newer John deere push I got going that someone was throwing out, so I'll see that and use this. Any suggestions on where to get these parts? I just put a new plug on and grounded it and there's no spark. I cleaned the contacts and still nothing. I'll pick up a magneto and carb kit.

eBay is the best place for parts.