FR691V

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting, Service manual states every 300 hours.

Mine( 651 on Toro) I have adjusted once, but only because one rocker had a light tick. That was at 75 hours. Been fine since.

Are you getting them locked down good ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

Mine( 651 on Toro) I have adjusted once, but only because one rocker had a light tick. That was at 75 hours. Been fine since.

The OP probably been guessing at the torque spec of 97 in-lbs.

txmowman

Threads
The 300 hour adjustment is a recommendation. Using automotive oil, that does not contain a sufficient amount of zinc can cause premature wear to all metal to metal contact parts.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 300 hour adjustment is a recommendation. Using automotive oil, that does not contain a sufficient amount of zinc can cause premature wear to all metal to metal contact parts.
I'm aware 300 hours is a recommendation, + I have NEVER used auto oil in my Kawasaki. Oil I use has 1,200ppm of zinc in it.
And exceeds JASO specs ..

100 td

Threads

Tight as a fishes...., they are just wearing, can't
unhear rattling. Only have 190 or so hours, started ticking at ~50, 130, too noisy at 80 & 160 to leave. You'll be doing yours at 160 probably, now that you've done them at 75!
On another subject, IIRC, the only difference between the 651 and 691 is the stop on the butterfly shaft, so there may be a bit more performance available if you die grind the stop on the carby so the butterfly can open.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tight as a fishes...., they are just wearing, can't
unhear rattling. Only have 190 or so hours, started ticking at ~50, 130, too noisy at 80 & 160 to leave. You'll be doing yours at 160 probably, now that you've done them at 75!
On another subject, IIRC, the only difference between the 651 and 691 is the stop on the butterfly shaft, so there may be a bit more performance available if you die grind the stop on the carby so the butterfly can open.

I've re-checked my valve lashes after this last mow season, just cause that's how I do. When I had the bower housing off as well.

Yes the carb can be modded to run like a 691, (same bore & stroke) I'm fine with it as a 651, it is a beast. And easier life for mine.
And since I added the FX donaldson air box, it runs better than ever.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And if you go that way, which you should then buy enough convoluted tubing to fit the cleaner to the ROPS , not directly to the blower housing so it does not impeede removal of the housing to clean the fins or general access to the engine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or..... as I did, mount it directly to the blower housing, so blower housing removal is still a breeze w/Donaldson still attached.
Just need to remove hose at the carb, like they all do.

PS: And depending on your altitude, you may have to re-jet..... I did NOT have to do this on mine tho.