FR691V Sudden Power Loss Overnight

Rondoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Dixie Chopper ZEE 2 is 7 years old and has never given me even a hint of a problem; but after a sudden cold snap the other night, it began to have a power loss after about 15 minutes. I replaced the plugs (never thought that was the problem) and then both the fuel filter and the air filter. That did not help at all, so I replaced the fuel pump next with no improvement. I noticed though that the clear fuel filter has very little fuel in it as though the new pump is not working. I have found no line obstructions nor air leaks nor any evidence of rubber deterioration. Since I was desperate, I went ahead and ordered a new carb. There is no misfiring at all, just obvious loss of fuel to the engine. A relative said that it probably is the fuel sensor on the carb. Am I headed in the right direction or still just swatting at no-see-'ems and hoping I finally solve the problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Suden power loss is running on one cylinder
Either a magneto failure or a valve failure
Check you have spark on both cylindrs
For this I use 2 red in line spark testers so I can see the red flashes / glow outside in day light.

Fovalves, pull the rocker covers off and check the valve lash and doubl e check the pushrods are in place and that the single mounting bolt has not come loose.

Rondoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Suden power loss is running on one cylinder
Either a magneto failure or a valve failure
Check you have spark on both cylindrs
For this I use 2 red in line spark testers so I can see the red flashes / glow outside in day light.

Fovalves, pull the rocker covers off and check the valve lash and doubl e check the pushrods are in place and that the single mounting bolt has not come loose.

Rondoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is not pumping gas to the fuel pump. The fuel filter is less than 1/3 full. I detected no misfire. The problem became so acute that I could not even start the engine. That is why I started replacing the easy stuff. Man, I hope it is not an internal engine problem. I cannot afford a mechanic, and I have no place to work on it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Kawasaki powered Husky MZ52 never fills its clear fuel filter. I don't understand why not; but it doesn't and it runs fine.

I suspect you have a bent pushrod.

Rondoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
At least that does not require head removal.

Rondoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
At least that does not require head removal.
Left side lower rocker arm was very loose (looking from back of engine) and threw a pushrod and bent it. That caused the upper pushrod to throw and bend due to impact. Looks like a QA issue, but after 7 years, who knows? That is not one of those things you ever expect. I will need to examine both rocker arms carefully also for damage. Onward through the fog.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Valvw lash should be checked on the first service , to pick up QC mistakes then at around 200 hr intervals .
Experienced techs can tell when the valves are out by the way & sounds of the engine cranking but I still check them at the recommended intervals.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Left side lower rocker arm was very loose (looking from back of engine) and threw a pushrod and bent it. That caused the upper pushrod to throw and bend due to impact. Looks like a QA issue, but after 7 years, who knows? That is not one of those things you ever expect. I will need to examine both rocker arms carefully also for damage. Onward through the fog.
It could be a QA issue but if you haven't kept the cylinders and heads free of grass clippings and other debris, it might be an overheating issue which has allowed the valve guide to migrate out of the head. Then the rocker arm collides with the valve guide and the pushrod bends. It's not unusual for this to happen if the cylinder and head cleaning gets neglected.