First time buyer advice

SouthernYankee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Due to health reasons and age (severe arthritis in knees, shoulders, back - 60 yrs old), my wife has decided I should get a riding mower. I have a little over an acre of lawn (thick Zoysia grass) that is relatively flat ( a few small inclines and curves) and only a few trees and bushes to go around. I also have about 1/8th of an acre of soft weeds (nor brush) that I would mow every few weeks. I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to the following:

1) Massey Ferguson 2600 Series riding lawn mower. 46" and Vanguard engine
2) John Deere X310. 42", KW engine, pwr steering, pwr deck lift
3) eXmark Quest 651ka ZTR 42", KW engine
4) Cub Cadet Z-Force S ZTR. 48", KW engine, steering wheel instead of levers
5) John Deere 200 series EZTrak ZTR with Briggs ELS engine

Here's my thinking on all of these.
I really like the fact that I can get a commercial grade Vanguard on the Massey plus it has a floating deck for a more even cut.
The X310 is nice due to the pwr steering and pwr deck lift.
The eXmark has the most comfortable seat of all of these.
The CC ZTR has a steering wheel and control over the front wheels.

I'm kind of leaning towards one of the ZTR's just because of the ease of getting on and off. But I keep going back to the Massey because of the quality of the engine. I don't want to spend $5k nor do I want a box store model that will only last a season or two. I want something that is going to be reliable and basically trouble free with routine maintenance performed.

ANY thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Due to health reasons and age (severe arthritis in knees, shoulders, back - 60 yrs old), my wife has decided I should get a riding mower. I have a little over an acre of lawn (thick Zoysia grass) that is relatively flat ( a few small inclines and curves) and only a few trees and bushes to go around. I also have about 1/8th of an acre of soft weeds (nor brush) that I would mow every few weeks. I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to the following:

1) Massey Ferguson 2600 Series riding lawn mower. 46" and Vanguard engine
2) John Deere X310. 42", KW engine, pwr steering, pwr deck lift
3) eXmark Quest 651ka ZTR 42", KW engine
4) Cub Cadet Z-Force S ZTR. 48", KW engine, steering wheel instead of levers
5) John Deere 200 series EZTrak ZTR with Briggs ELS engine

Here's my thinking on all of these.
I really like the fact that I can get a commercial grade Vanguard on the Massey plus it has a floating deck for a more even cut.
The X310 is nice due to the pwr steering and pwr deck lift.
The eXmark has the most comfortable seat of all of these.
The CC ZTR has a steering wheel and control over the front wheels.

I'm kind of leaning towards one of the ZTR's just because of the ease of getting on and off. But I keep going back to the Massey because of the quality of the engine. I don't want to spend $5k nor do I want a box store model that will only last a season or two. I want something that is going to be reliable and basically trouble free with routine maintenance performed.

ANY thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If I Had (severe arthritis in knees, shoulders,) I sure wouldn't want anything the a steering wheel. I'd go with the Cub Cadet Commercial Z Force 48" with Lap Bars. For $4199 to $4849 depending on deck size, you can't beat the mower.:2cents:

IMG_0580.JPG

http://www.cubcadetsuperstore.com/pages/Brochures/CategoryList/250?year=2012
You can check this site or page, bottom left are the Commercial Z Force Riders

Last edited:

jetboat

Forum Newbie
Threads
john deere D 140

john*deer * D 140*going*3*years**old*cutting**two*acres

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would look at a Toro Timecutter.

Threads
I would go for the Exmark Quest or Toro Timecutter. You don't have TONS of acreage so I think if you maintain them those mowers will do a good job for you!

1.jpg toro timecutter.jpg

See these threads about these mowers:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/exmark-forum/8198-exmark-quest.html
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/mower-buying-pricing/12597-toro-exmark.html
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/general-mower-discussion/10341-toro-timecutter.html

exmark.jpg.............Exmark Manufacturing - Products
toro.jpg............Toro | TimeCutter SS - Zero Turn Lawn Mowers

A_tank96

Threads
I would look at the Toro timecutter, just like Rivets said. I have one, love it, but if you want something with more commercial quality, I would definitely go with the CC z-force. Lap bars to. Doesn't take long at all to get used to, and mowing the lawn becomes something you look forward to with a ztr.

A_tank

Threads
I would look at the Toro timecutter, just like Rivets said. I have one, love it, but if you want something with more commercial quality, I would definitely go with the CC z-force. Lap bars to. Doesn't take long at all to get used to, and mowing the lawn becomes something you look forward to with a ztr.

A_tank

Yeah I was just comparing the picture Ric posted vs. the two I posted of the Exmark and Toro. The Cub Cadet does look a little more heavy-duty.

Cub Cadet Z-Force 2.jpg Residential Zero-Turn Mowers: Shop Cub Cadet Z-Force Riders for a Residential Mower

Cub Cadet Z-Force Steering Wheel 1.jpg Cub Z-Force S Riders: Find Zero-Turn Mowers with Steering Wheels

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah I was just comparing the picture Ric posted vs. the two I posted of the Exmark and Toro. The Cub Cadet does look a little more heavy-duty.

View attachment 11796 Residential Zero-Turn Mowers: Shop Cub Cadet Z-Force Riders for a Residential Mower

View attachment 11797 Cub Z-Force S Riders: Find Zero-Turn Mowers with Steering Wheels

The Z force 48 is now listed as one of there low end commercial mowers, it took the place of the Cub Cadet Recon I believe.

Recon2.jpgRecon.jpg

Last edited: