Export thread

First time buyer advice

S

SouthernYankee

Due to health reasons and age (severe arthritis in knees, shoulders, back - 60 yrs old), my wife has decided I should get a riding mower. I have a little over an acre of lawn (thick Zoysia grass) that is relatively flat ( a few small inclines and curves) and only a few trees and bushes to go around. I also have about 1/8th of an acre of soft weeds (nor brush) that I would mow every few weeks. I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to the following:

1) Massey Ferguson 2600 Series riding lawn mower. 46" and Vanguard engine
2) John Deere X310. 42", KW engine, pwr steering, pwr deck lift
3) eXmark Quest 651ka ZTR 42", KW engine
4) Cub Cadet Z-Force S ZTR. 48", KW engine, steering wheel instead of levers
5) John Deere 200 series EZTrak ZTR with Briggs ELS engine

Here's my thinking on all of these.
I really like the fact that I can get a commercial grade Vanguard on the Massey plus it has a floating deck for a more even cut.
The X310 is nice due to the pwr steering and pwr deck lift.
The eXmark has the most comfortable seat of all of these.
The CC ZTR has a steering wheel and control over the front wheels.

I'm kind of leaning towards one of the ZTR's just because of the ease of getting on and off. But I keep going back to the Massey because of the quality of the engine. I don't want to spend $5k nor do I want a box store model that will only last a season or two. I want something that is going to be reliable and basically trouble free with routine maintenance performed.

ANY thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ric

Ric

Due to health reasons and age (severe arthritis in knees, shoulders, back - 60 yrs old), my wife has decided I should get a riding mower. I have a little over an acre of lawn (thick Zoysia grass) that is relatively flat ( a few small inclines and curves) and only a few trees and bushes to go around. I also have about 1/8th of an acre of soft weeds (nor brush) that I would mow every few weeks. I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to the following:

1) Massey Ferguson 2600 Series riding lawn mower. 46" and Vanguard engine
2) John Deere X310. 42", KW engine, pwr steering, pwr deck lift
3) eXmark Quest 651ka ZTR 42", KW engine
4) Cub Cadet Z-Force S ZTR. 48", KW engine, steering wheel instead of levers
5) John Deere 200 series EZTrak ZTR with Briggs ELS engine

Here's my thinking on all of these.
I really like the fact that I can get a commercial grade Vanguard on the Massey plus it has a floating deck for a more even cut.
The X310 is nice due to the pwr steering and pwr deck lift.
The eXmark has the most comfortable seat of all of these.
The CC ZTR has a steering wheel and control over the front wheels.

I'm kind of leaning towards one of the ZTR's just because of the ease of getting on and off. But I keep going back to the Massey because of the quality of the engine. I don't want to spend $5k nor do I want a box store model that will only last a season or two. I want something that is going to be reliable and basically trouble free with routine maintenance performed.

ANY thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If I Had (severe arthritis in knees, shoulders,) I sure wouldn't want anything the a steering wheel. I'd go with the Cub Cadet Commercial Z Force 48" with Lap Bars. For $4199 to $4849 depending on deck size, you can't beat the mower.:2cents:

IMG_0580.JPG

http://www.cubcadetsuperstore.com/pages/Brochures/CategoryList/250?year=2012
You can check this site or page, bottom left are the Commercial Z Force Riders

J

jetboat

john deere D 140

john*deer * D 140*going*3*years**old*cutting**two*acres

R

Rivets

I would look at a Toro Timecutter.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I would go for the Exmark Quest or Toro Timecutter. You don't have TONS of acreage so I think if you maintain them those mowers will do a good job for you!

1.jpg toro timecutter.jpg

See these threads about these mowers:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/exmark-forum/8198-exmark-quest.html
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/mower-buying-pricing/12597-toro-exmark.html
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/general-mower-discussion/10341-toro-timecutter.html

exmark.jpg.............Exmark Manufacturing - Products
toro.jpg............Toro | TimeCutter SS - Zero Turn Lawn Mowers

A_tank96

A_tank96

I would look at the Toro timecutter, just like Rivets said. I have one, love it, but if you want something with more commercial quality, I would definitely go with the CC z-force. Lap bars to. Doesn't take long at all to get used to, and mowing the lawn becomes something you look forward to with a ztr.

A_tank

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I would look at the Toro timecutter, just like Rivets said. I have one, love it, but if you want something with more commercial quality, I would definitely go with the CC z-force. Lap bars to. Doesn't take long at all to get used to, and mowing the lawn becomes something you look forward to with a ztr.

A_tank

Yeah I was just comparing the picture Ric posted vs. the two I posted of the Exmark and Toro. The Cub Cadet does look a little more heavy-duty.

Cub Cadet Z-Force 2.jpg Residential Zero-Turn Mowers: Shop Cub Cadet Z-Force Riders for a Residential Mower

Cub Cadet Z-Force Steering Wheel 1.jpg Cub Z-Force S Riders: Find Zero-Turn Mowers with Steering Wheels

Ric

Ric

Yeah I was just comparing the picture Ric posted vs. the two I posted of the Exmark and Toro. The Cub Cadet does look a little more heavy-duty.

View attachment 11796 Residential Zero-Turn Mowers: Shop Cub Cadet Z-Force Riders for a Residential Mower

View attachment 11797 Cub Z-Force S Riders: Find Zero-Turn Mowers with Steering Wheels

The Z force 48 is now listed as one of there low end commercial mowers, it took the place of the Cub Cadet Recon I believe.

Recon2.jpgRecon.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The Z force 48 is now listed as there low end commercial mower, it took the place of the Cub Cadet Recon I believe.

The Recon looks just like the Tank IMO.
RECON.jpg TANK.jpg

Ric

Ric

The Recon looks just like the Tank IMO.
View attachment 11800 View attachment 11801

Yeah They made them both the same, the big differences between the two were the motor size and drive units the Tank were running the larger engines of the two and the Parker drives and the Recon I believe were running the Hydro-Gear hydrostatic drives.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Whatever one u get since u don't wanna probably service your so I would get one and a place to get it serviced easy :thumbsup::thumbsup::smile:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Whatever one u get since u don't wanna probably service your so I would get one and a place to get it serviced easy :thumbsup::thumbsup::smile:

I agree! A.k.a. a dealer that you can trust and you have good relationships/experiences with. :thumbsup:

scott47429

scott47429

i agree here also the best way to avoid problems right off is to avoid the big box stores no matter what brand they sell they dont do the service work on them so buy from a dealer

Ric

Ric

Just my opinion but I'd stay away from the Cub Cadet Z Force S 48" because it's running the EZT drive units and they don't hold up well under a lot of use.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Just my opinion but I'd stay away from the Cub Cadet Z Force S 48" because it's running the EZT drive units and they don't hold up well under a lot of use.
Ric,

I did notice that the Commercial Z-Force has the Hydro-Gear ZT-2800 trannies. Are those really considered "commercial" drives. I know they would definitely be a step up from the EZT's(which I don't believe have servicable spin-on oil filters), but most of the "commercial" ZTR's I looked at usually sported the ZT-3100 or ZT-3400 Hydrogear trannies. Again, though, for < $5,000 for a 48" the Z-Force is still a "best buy" compared to similar ZTR's.

Ric

Ric

Ric,

I did notice that the Commercial Z-Force has the Hydro-Gear ZT-2800 trannies. Are those really considered "commercial" drives. I know they would definitely be a step up from the EZT's(which I don't believe have servicable spin-on oil filters), but most of the "commercial" ZTR's I looked at usually sported the ZT-3100 or ZT-3400 Hydrogear trannies. Again, though, for < $5,000 for a 48" the Z-Force is still a "best buy" compared to similar ZTR's.

The 2800 is really considered to be a residential unit, but it and the 3100 both use the 10cc piston pumps and 16cc piston motors and the same 1" shaft. There basically the same units differences being the 3100 has a couple of added safety features for greater durability supposedly.
It's not until you reach the 3400 that you really start seeing the differences, you move up to different size piston pumps (12cc) and the 1.125" shaft. the 3400 even uses the 16cc piston motors.
Buying a 2800 vs a 3100 or 3400 is like going to a car lot and looking at the Ford F 150, three in the same row all with different prices but they all have the same motor, same rear end, all look the same but one may have a Tach, the other vinyl vs clothe, it's what ever you want.
The Z Force 48" runs the 2800 drives and I've never had an issue with the mower or drives and I have over 600hrs of use in two years. For $4199 you can't beat the mower.

djdicetn

djdicetn

The 2800 is really considered to be a residential unit, but it and the 3100 both use the 10cc piston pumps and 16cc piston motors and the same 1" shaft. There basically the same units differences being the 3100 has a couple of added safety features for greater durability supposedly.
It's not until you reach the 3400 that you really start seeing the differences, you move up to different size piston pumps (12cc) and the 1.125" shaft. the 3400 even uses the 16cc piston motors.
Buying a 2800 vs a 3100 or 3400 is like going to a car lot and looking at the Ford F 150, three in the same row all with different prices but they all have the same motor, same rear end, all look the same but one may have a Tach, the other vinyl vs clothe, it's what ever you want.
The Z Force 48" runs the 2800 drives and I've never had an issue with the mower or drives and I have over 600hrs of use in two years. For $4199 you can't beat the mower.
Ric,
Sorry to keep getting off the original thread's subject, but I would expect with that many hours you have serviced(or have had serviced by a dealer) the oil/filter change on those Hydro-gear trannies a couple of times. Did you do it yourself or let the dealer. Reading about the "purge" procedure(and with my lack of experience with this kind of equipment) I'm a little leary of attempting a do-it-yourself on that maintenance even though I'm sure it would save some money. Of course my Gravely is still brand new and I've got a while before I need to worry about that. But what do you recommend on servicing the trannies?

E

edd

you wont go wrong with a toro timecutter.....bought a 50 inch 23 horse timecutter 4 years ago and have put about 500 hrs on it with no problem at all......i am impressed with toro