Fire around the blade spacer spindle

Gord Baker

Threads
Considering these are two piece bearing sets, the inner bearing and race will fall out leaving the outer bearing in the hub when the spindle shaft nut and seal are removed. The only thing that slow the falling out then is the grease.

Hint: These are L44649/L44610 bearing sets that a preload must be set. Even though there is a spacer the outer bearing (cup) must fully seated prior to the torquing the spindle shaft nut.

Also note some call what you are calling the races the bearings and middle section the race. To me it is just a cup and cone set. Either way it is still a bearing setup.
I didn't know that tapered bearings were used on mower spindles. Carefully grease the new ones with wheelbearing grease and torque to spec or until they just begin to show resistance to turning.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I didn't know that tapered bearings were used on mower spindles. Carefully grease the new ones with wheel bearing grease and torque to spec or until they just begin to show resistance to turning.
I actually done spindles on Cub Cadet, JD, and Scag mowers that used tapered bearings. It all depends what spindle OEM used for their design as they can use ball bearings or taper bearings.

The posters here should at least know what they helping with by looking up the equipment IPLs but many here don't do it. They are just plain too lazy to do it.

PeterJones

Threads
Bearing it 'was'. Just a melted piece of metal!!

My Scag has done just 800 hours so I presume this is an anomaly however should I replace this bearing only or all three?

TIA, Peter

PS

In looking for the Scag bearings on the internet I find ads for spindle assemblies:

Spindle Assembly for Scag 32" 36" 42" 48" 52" 61" 72" Deck 46631 461663 285-597​

Replaces OEM Numbers Scag 41001, 41007, 41008

Do these assemblies include the bearing, i.e pull one out and drop in another?

scag1.jpg
scag2.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep,
Do all 3
Hiding under the pulley is a grease nipple & a relief valve
Around once a month you should give the nipple a few strokes of grease till clean looking grease come out of the valve .
If greased regularly those tapered rollers should last almost forever.
The landlord has a fleet of 2000 series Cubs that are all better than 20 years old and get at least 1000hrs a year for the farm ones and about 300 for the house mower
Never changed the bearings but I have needed to remove a bit off the spacer to take up the wear .

PeterJones

Threads
Thanks Bert,

Yes, they get greased regularly - every 10 to 20 hours I guess.

Any thought on the sprinkler assembly - do they contain the bearings? I'm more of a replacement mechanic rather than a repair mechanic!

TIA, Peter

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are going to need a thin walled socket, if you plan on rebuilding them.

PeterJones

Threads
Bert,

Oops, "Spindle Assembly"

Mparr

Yes, the area around the bottom nut is tight - I hadn't really taken note of that. I had better check out my socket collection. Thanks

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
1 1/2” thin walled socket for the big spindle nut.

PeterJones

Threads
Problem solved. Just had a look at the parts list in my owners manual and I see there is blow up box around the spindle drawing and arrow will a number which I hadn't noticed previously. Low and behold the it refers to part 461663 - which is the entire assembly including bearings. This is what my inner mechanic was looking for.

Thanks for all the very helpful comments from one and all. Merry Christmas from the Antipodes.

Cheers, Peter