Blades Fast Attach Blade System Problem

NEWUNHAPPYCUBOWNER

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Cub Cadet XT2 GX54D with the Fast Attach Blade system with 1 half season and right at 25 hours on it and this System is Horrible!!!
Have any of you found a replacement spindle with the star blades that works to replace these with!!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have not personally seen the system but I thinking that standard MTD spindle will replace it. Most of my customers are smart enough to avoid gimmicks.

Homeuser66

Threads
This is the one feature that I'm not looking forward to. I haven't purchased this tractor yet, but it says my first choice for what I need it for. I called the dealer near me and he hsiang laughed at me. He said this isn't an issue. There's no way debris gets in there. I told him, that's not true, from what I've read. He also told me there was no replacement spindles for it, only the quick connect ones. Unfortunately, if I do get this, he's the only dealer near me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is the one feature that I'm not looking forward to. I haven't purchased this tractor yet, but it says my first choice for what I need it for. I called the dealer near me and he hsiang laughed at me. He said this isn't an issue. There's no way debris gets in there. I told him, that's not true, from what I've read. He also told me there was no replacement spindles for it, only the quick connect ones. Unfortunately, if I do get this, he's the only dealer near me.
One of my fellow mechanic said they are a problem to get release as he has clean off all the muck and then use hammer to get to release.

lava

Forum Newbie
Threads
Love my cub cadet xt2 but HATE the fast attach!
I did find a guy who commented on a YouTube video about changing the spindles. He suggest the spindle kit for the xt1 gt will swap out as long as you flip the two spacers on the tensioner pully along with removing the spacer from the solid mount idler pully. I have ordered this kit off of Amazon for 126 dollars. New spindles and blades.

lava

Forum Newbie
Threads
Love my cub cadet xt2 but HATE the fast attach!
I did find a guy who commented on a YouTube video about changing the spindles. He suggest the spindle kit for the xt1 gt will swap out as long as you flip the two spacers on the tensioner pully along with removing the spacer from the solid mount idler pully. I have ordered this kit off of Amazon for 126 dollars. New spindles and blades.
I would also note I have contacted cub about this and I was also told they were surprised because they don't have any complaints about this system. Bull!

scruffythejanitor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another voice here happy with the tractor (Enduro XT2 GX54) but can't stand the "FastAttach" blades. They're terrible. Recently tried to sharpen the blades and one of the spindles was broken -- the spindle collar pins had snapped off (probably because we hit something) and we couldn't remove the thing. Had to completely disassemble the spindle. We bought a replacement spindle collar (OEM) but I'd like to find a standard spindle with the star pattern and nut. Does anyone have a part number that they know will fit the 54" fabricated deck? I'm going to give Cub Cadet a call and ask if there's a standard spindle that I can replace the FastAttach spindles with but if anyone knows the part number I'd appreciate it.

scruffythejanitor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, so it's been a while, but I was being lazy. :) However, I found the replacement parts I needed, so I wanted to post here to hopefully help someone else in the future who may search for things like "replace fast attach spindles with star" or "swap fast attach spindles for something that actually works well". Hehe.

Anyway, MTD part number 918-06991 or 618-06991 is a 6-point star spindle assembly that fits the 54" fabricated deck (and probably others) on the XT2. The bolt pattern for mounting is a standard 5" x 5" pattern. The pulley sits above the deck the same amount as the stock fast attach spindles, and the blade is held the same distance below the deck. The spindle is between 6.5" and 6 7/8" depending on the listing you find. They run as cheap as $20-ish for the aftermarket stuff to $50-ish for Stens or $100-ish for Cub Cadet. I'm trying the 8TEN brand, which are around $25 each.

Some of the replacement spindles come with the nuts for the blades, and some don't. I tried a cheap aftermarket 3-pack of nuts for $5 (they are 5/8" x 18 TPI) but the threads were not cut properly. The MTD nuts are $10 for a 3-pack so I ordered those, and they fit fine.

The pulley on the 918-06991 is not quite the same. The outer diameter thickness is 3/4" where the originals are 1". The inside thickness at the edge is 1/2" where the originals are 5/8". The groove depth on the 06991 is 5/8" where the originals are 7/8". This all means that the belt doesn't quite sit fully in the pulley. I don't know if that's an issue, but you can move the pulleys from your original fast attach spindles to the new ones (just be careful -- the fast attach are spring-loaded and will blow apart when you take the nut off). The splines on the pulleys are the same. Or, you can order new 756-05038 pulleys (Cub Cadet or aftermarket) for around $15-$25 each. I found a 3-pack of OEM for $56.

I hope that's helpful to someone. I'm looking forward to not dealing with that fast attach madness anymore.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you want to stay with "S" blades then the 618P09256 with (5.37 DIA) DIA pulleys; although, you might need to change spindle pulleys to the 5.2 dia ones.

I'll have to check my balancer with the blades before I say if it will work or not.

Edit> I have tried my Oregon balancer with the tapered cone and the blades balances fine. Most of the new blades are not perfectly balanced but no new blade usually is according to my balancer. Especially since the weight of a small paper clip cause a blade to be out balance on it.

Last edited: