exmark quest solinoid question

kaju

Threads
Gees look at this we have a real time world network, just like the computer geeks.

Crank the engine and check for a spark if there was none .
Now pull off the engine cover and find the thin black wire attached to the ignition coils.
Follow this back and if it goes to a single plug near the starter unplug it.
Crank the engine and check for a spark again.

Make sure all controls are in the correct position for running.

On the solenoid check for 12V at the small control wire.
Let Blaz know what your find, I am going to work in the plantation.

These mowers have a safety check built in that stops the coil from firing when something like this goes wrong. I am positive of this because that was a problem when I had to replace the brake module. Because the brake module was not working it stopped the ignition system from firing. When I replaced the brake module it started firing again. So I am already sure the coil is not firing. But if you still want me to do that I will.
With safety switches and modules and connectors all over the place I do not know where to begin to hunt the issue down. The mower was fine one minute and not the next minute. If it has a corroded connector somewhere that is causing it to not ground, how do you find that?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert is telling you how to check if one of the safety devices is not working. Follow his instructions and it will get narrowed down to the faulty one. Report back with findings.

kaju

Threads
Will do. it is raining here right now. As soon as I can Ill do as you ask

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
We all know how frustrating it is to work on lawn mowers. We will get you through this.

kaju

Threads
When you say check for spark I'm sure you meant at the spark plug. as far as the solenoid which wire is the small control wire

Attachments

• IMAG1073.jpg
    IMAG1073.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 10

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Green wire should be ground and Blue wire should be 12v with key in start position. Clean the solenoid off. I don't know how its not shorting out when you turn the key.

kaju

Threads
Gees look at this we have a real time world network, just like the computer geeks.

Crank the engine and check for a spark if there was none .
Now pull off the engine cover and find the thin black wire attached to the ignition coils.
Follow this back and if it goes to a single plug near the starter unplug it.
Crank the engine and check for a spark again.

Make sure all controls are in the correct position for running.

On the solenoid check for 12V at the small control wire.
Let Blaz know what your find, I am going to work in the plantation.

I pulled the spark plug and cranked the engine and there was no spark while it was grounded to the engine. I pulled the cover and found the black wire coming from the ignition coils. I unplugged it and cranked it and there was no spark. I pulled the blue wire from the solenoid and with the key in the crank position I read 11 volts on my multi-tester.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well that is really bad news.
Double check the air gap from the coils to the flywheel and check for spark when cranking again.
NO spark with the earth wire disconnected means the module is gone and they are not cheap so worth the double check