exmark quest solinoid question

kaju

Threads
Well that is really bad news.
Double check the air gap from the coils to the flywheel and check for spark when cranking again.
NO spark with the earth wire disconnected means the module is gone and they are not cheap so worth the double check

This is a case when you need three hands. I double checked it I had someone else hold the wire while I ran the jumper form battery to starter. When I done so the engine fired up. the engine started running. as it was running I could see the spark from wire to a ground. I turned the key off and hooked the wire back up. tried to start the engine again and got just a click. When I tried again with the coil wire unhooked turned the key just a click but with the jumper wire from battery to starter the engine would not fire if the wire was grounded. but with the wire not grounded it would not fire and run. I turned the key off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which wire , what wire where ?
No need to turn the key, just run your jumpers to the starter motor to spin the engine.
Make sure you are pulling the correct wires off the ignition coils.
The two wires from the coils should come together at a plug then go on to another plug to hook up with the tractor wiring.
Invest in a pair of inline spark testers, leave the plugs in and the testers hooked up so you only need one pair of hands.

kaju

Threads
Which wire , what wire where ?
No need to turn the key, just run your jumpers to the starter motor to spin the engine.
Make sure you are pulling the correct wires off the ignition coils.
The two wires from the coils should come together at a plug then go on to another plug to hook up with the tractor wiring.
Invest in a pair of inline spark testers, leave the plugs in and the testers hooked up so you only need one pair of hands.

OH boy. please excuse me. I am so sorry for the confusion. the wire I pulled was the wire that came together from the two coils. it had a plug close to the starter. I pulled that plug and tested it for a spark. When the wire I spoke of in the previous sentence was not grounded or connected to anything I jumped the starter with a and the engine fired up and was running. then grounded the coil wire and seen a spark. I turned the key off. left the coil wire grounded and the starter cranked (spun ) but the engine did not fire. I then hooked everything back up and here I am now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, the wire you disconnected is the kill wire and it completes a circuit to ground so you should see a spark if you disconnect or reconnect the wire with the engine running.
The fact that the emgine started with this wire disconnected tells you the ignition modules are fine and you have a problem in the tractor wiring.
there are 4 circuits that will earth out that wire and kill the engine.
1) ignition switch
2 ) Brake + motion controls
3) bake + seat switch
4) Pto switch + seat switch

All of the above work through the engine kill relay so make that your first item to check.

Now before we got to confusing details.
how confidant are you with electrickery and what electric tools do you have on hand.

kaju

Threads
OK, the wire you disconnected is the kill wire and it completes a circuit to ground so you should see a spark if you disconnect or reconnect the wire with the engine running.
The fact that the emgine started with this wire disconnected tells you the ignition modules are fine and you have a problem in the tractor wiring.
there are 4 circuits that will earth out that wire and kill the engine.
1) ignition switch
2 ) Brake + motion controls
3) bake + seat switch
4) Pto switch + seat switch

All of the above work through the engine kill relay so make that your first item to check.

Now before we got to confusing details.
how confidant are you with electrickery and what electric tools do you have on hand.

I have a strong working knowledge of A/C electricity and a novice knowledge of D/C electricity. I can follow directions pretty good. Lets say I am medium confident with electrickery. I have a multi tester on hand. I replaced the brake module last month. so It should be good.