Exmark Metro 36 Cracked transmission case leaking oil making clunking sound now

slash5bmw

Threads
  • / Exmark Metro 36 Cracked transmission case leaking oil making clunking sound now
I just noticed this today after mowing a lawn. There is a crack in the transmission case and oil leaked down the case.
I wondering how this could have happened because it looks like something inside the transmission pushed out on the case and cracked it because the cracked metal is pushed out.
I will remove the top part of the case tomorrow and tap the metal flush against the case (hopefully without breaking off the cracked piece. I'll then apply some jb weld inside the case. I'm assuming I can remove the pressure switch and add some more oil. Anyone know what kind of oil it takes. It was like mud coming down the side of the tranny.

Any ideas what could have caused this?

Thanks,

slash

20220608_172854_resized.jpg20220608_172851_resized.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Exmark Metro 36 Cracked transmission case leaking oil making clunking sound now
most likely the reverse chain
Be careful those internal parts are razor sharp
While it is open have a good look at the shift keys and if they are chipped or cracked them replace them .

slash5bmw

Threads
Thanks for the advice. I will open it up today and check for broken parts.
The manual at this link http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com...eh/Tecumseh_Transaxle_Service_Information.pdf
says to use Grease: Bentonite Grease Part Number 788067C.
Lots of people say it's very sticky. It's a bit pricey also. Not sure there's a cheaper alternative grease.

The stuff that leaked out doesn't look like grease. Maybe you're supposed to coat the gears with the grease and add oil through the oil pressure switch when the case gets put back on. You can see the crack is above were you would separate the transmission covers so I'm thinking you must fill it with some kind of oil after it's assembled.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

slash

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you bought that machine new disregard.

If this was a used new to you machine, someone might of driven it into a pond on accident. Maybe some steep slope mowing action. Then they sold it off as cherry.