Exmark Kawasaki FX730V not starting

RevB

Threads
Struggled to start.

BUT… good news. Went to check the battery before checking the timing today and noticed the fuel filter was cracked where the “spout” meets the main barrel. Battery was fine, so I changed the fuel filter and mowed about 2 acres with no issues. Even stopped a couple times and restarted fine 😂 hopefully it was just the filter!

Struggled to start.

BUT… good news. Went to check the battery before checking the timing today and noticed the fuel filter was cracked where the “spout” meets the main barrel. Battery was fine, so I changed the fuel filter and mowed about 2 acres with no issues. Even stopped a couple times and restarted fine 😂 hopefully it was just the filter!
New, defective parts. Good on ya for finding the problem.

Gord Baker

Threads
It takes a long time to learn to check the simple things first. Glad you are up and running.

RevB

Threads
Struggled to start.

BUT… good news. Went to check the battery before checking the timing today and noticed the fuel filter was cracked where the “spout” meets the main barrel. Battery was fine, so I changed the fuel filter and mowed about 2 acres with no issues. Even stopped a couple times and restarted fine 😂 hopefully it was just the filter I asked about the "struggle to start"
Reason I asked about the "struggle to start" issue is because most of the starters on small engines look like they're well sealed but are not. Because of the dusty, litter ridden environment material always seems to work it's way into the case and the dirt will cause the starter to slow down and present itself as a problem masquerading as other similar issues. Doesn't take much dirt to lock up a Bendix. Just something to keep in the back of your mind for future reference.

Jimmac

Threads
Ok so this damned thing is down again.

Started first time today then died. Got it started again and mowed a little. Started surging so I looked around and could see the governor bobbing up and down. Adjusted the throttle down an little and stabilized it. Ran for another few minutes and stopped. Now it won’t start. Voltage is showing 12.7V on the panel.
I’m turning the key, it’ll try to turn over a few times then dies. It does this choke on or off.

As I’m typing this, I got it started again. Will check back in a few.

Jimmac

Threads
Ok so this damned thing is down again.

Started first time today then died. Got it started again and mowed a little. Started surging so I looked around and could see the governor bobbing up and down. Adjusted the throttle down an little and stabilized it. Ran for another few minutes and stopped. Now it won’t start. Voltage is showing 12.7V on the panel.
I’m turning the key, it’ll try to turn over a few times then dies. It does this choke on or off.

As I’m typing this, I got it started again. Will check back in a few.
Mowed another acre or so with no issues. Throttle pulled back from max just a touch. Do you all think it’s just the governor high idle screw adjustment?

Gord Baker

Threads
Not sure of your model. Some Throttles actuate the Choke as well and you may have been doing that.
Look at the simple things first. Fuel, Fuel Filter, tight carb to manifold bolts etc.

Jimmac

Threads
Not sure of your model. Some Throttles actuate the Choke as well and you may have been doing that.
Look at the simple things first. Fuel, Fuel Filter, tight carb to manifold bolts etc.
Kawa FX730V. Thanks I’ll check the bolts on the carb.
I ran it another 1.5hrs with the idle screw adjusted and it ran the entire time. It did struggle to start when I stopped half way through.
When it doesn’t start, what happens is; I turn the key, it makes a noise like it’s about to turn over but stops. I try again and again and it starts to turn over. Then it continually turns over without starting and eventually start.
I checked and am getting spark.

Gord Baker

Threads
You should get new gaskets and then check valve lash. Check your Manual for settings. Time for new spark plugs? Have you checked the Flywheel/Crankshaft key to be sure it hasn't partially sheared?

Jimmac

Threads
You should get new gaskets and then check valve lash. Check your Manual for settings. Time for new spark plugs? Have you checked the Flywheel/Crankshaft key to be sure it hasn't partially sheared?
It has new plugs and coils. New head gaskets?