Exmark crank no start

Lunchmeat...

Forum Newbie
Threads
As it will run on starter fluid the prime suspect is fuel
1) remove the fuel line from the carburettor and hold it over a reasonably big container, about a quart or better,
Get her to crank the engine and check for a strong fuel flow.
It will splutter a little because the engine is turning over at cranking speeds & not running speeds.

2) if above was OK then remove float bowl and crank for a few seconds while working the float with your fingers to check the fuel is flowing through the float valve and gets cut off before the float touches the carb body

3) check what came out above for water , fine particulates , etc
Have a real good look & smell of the fuel for freshness & quality

4) after that it only leaves the fuel solenoid.
a bit harder for home owners to check other than turning the ignition on & off and listening / feeling for the clicks as it opens & closes.
I check them visually with the engine static and in operation by replacing the solenoid with a plug / bolt and an O ring to make a seal.
The solenoids themselves rarely fail but the wiring to them does , particularly on ZTR's
Like i said before it appears as if the solenoids is working. There are two. I know one definitely is however the second one i couldn’t remove to test. After trying to crank for a few minutes it does get hot. I tested the wires and they get 12v and the solenoid has a resistance of about 20 ohms. Fuel delivery is fine to the carburetor. New pump and filter. I just dont know much about the carburetor with solenoids. It had fuel in the bowl when i took it apart and cleaned it.

Lunchmeat...

Forum Newbie
Threads
Carb is still dirty and or fuel delivery issue.
Obviously. Thats why im here for advice. Carb was already in great shape when i pulled it apart. And fuel to the carb is top notch. About two cups of fuel after spinning the motor for 20 seconds.

Lunchmeat...

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fuel shut off solenoid? Never saw a kohler engine with two fuel shut off solenoids. But model spec and serial no. would help. since the mower can't run. Did she put gas in it or something else. Have seen everything from kerosene, diesel and yes water.
Yes she used gasoline. When she got it i showed her the one pump in town to use for gas for her mower and golfcart. Non ethanol

Lunchmeat...

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it runs on any flavor of starting fluid, there is a dirty carb or fuel system delivery issue.
Clearly. Thats why im here. I can do small engine work just fine however this mower is so new im not used to any of the cutoff switches and solenoids on it.

Lunchmeat...

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check:

spark
fuel delivery at carb
adjust valves
clean engine block and cooling fins YEARLY. This is in your engine manual.
engine over 5 years old, de-carbonize the cylinder, head and valves. Again in your engine manual.

water in the fuel
compression
clean carb again, inside of the body and jets/emulsion tube helps too
choke working properly?
plugged air filter
clean and flush out fuel tank and install new fuel line
Spark is good(rund on anything you spray in it)
Fuel delivery is good(new pump,filter,fuel)
I dont think we are into adjusting the valves yet as it does fun just fine just wont get fuel
Mower is emaculatly clean. She uses about twice a month in mowing season and cleans it after every use.
mower is not ever 3 years old yet
No water is fuel as it is new fuel i pumped myself
Compression is fine(it runs)
Carb was in great shape when i pulled it apart. I was under the impression she ran out of fuel so i did filer new fuel and pulled the carb and cleaned out all the needles jets and passageways for the fuel in anticipation of trash being in there somewhere.
choke works fine
Filer its fine. No difference with it out

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replace the solenoids with blanking bolts.
Problem goes away then there is the problem.
The wires to them are very thin & prone to breaking , getting pinched or the insulation burning through & shorting to the block.
Solenoids rarely fail themselves but do get gunk in the bottom and stick closed or partially closed .

Lunchmeat...

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replace the solenoids with blanking bolts.
Problem goes away then there is the problem.
The wires to them are very thin & prone to breaking , getting pinched or the insulation burning through & shorting to the block.
Solenoids rarely fail themselves but do get gunk in the bottom and stick closed or partially closed .
Solenoids are getting power so its not a power issue. Ill try the bolts