Exmark crank no start

Lunchmeat...

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got an exmark mower that will crank over just fine. Runs on starting fluid. Replaced the fuel pump fuel filter and disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it. What am I missing. I noticed two solenoid type valves on the carburetor but both seem to work. Any help would be appreciated. I know its a 52 inch cut with a kolher motor. Model lze732gkc524a2. She said she was mowing and it sounded like she ran out of gas when it quit so she added gas and wouldnt start.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check:

spark
fuel delivery at carb
adjust valves
clean engine block and cooling fins YEARLY. This is in your engine manual.
engine over 5 years old, de-carbonize the cylinder, head and valves. Again in your engine manual.

water in the fuel
compression
clean carb again, inside of the body and jets/emulsion tube helps too
choke working properly?
plugged air filter
clean and flush out fuel tank and install new fuel line

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As it will run on starter fluid the prime suspect is fuel
1) remove the fuel line from the carburettor and hold it over a reasonably big container, about a quart or better,
Get her to crank the engine and check for a strong fuel flow.
It will splutter a little because the engine is turning over at cranking speeds & not running speeds.

2) if above was OK then remove float bowl and crank for a few seconds while working the float with your fingers to check the fuel is flowing through the float valve and gets cut off before the float touches the carb body

3) check what came out above for water , fine particulates , etc
Have a real good look & smell of the fuel for freshness & quality

4) after that it only leaves the fuel solenoid.
a bit harder for home owners to check other than turning the ignition on & off and listening / feeling for the clicks as it opens & closes.
I check them visually with the engine static and in operation by replacing the solenoid with a plug / bolt and an O ring to make a seal.
The solenoids themselves rarely fail but the wiring to them does , particularly on ZTR's

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got an exmark mower that will crank over just fine. Runs on starting fluid. Replaced the fuel pump fuel filter and disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it. What am I missing. I noticed two solenoid type valves on the carburetor but both seem to work. Any help would be appreciated. I know its a 52 inch cut with a kolher motor. Model lze732gkc524a2. She said she was mowing and it sounded like she ran out of gas when it quit so she added gas and wouldnt start.
Starting fluid is a bad idea I have seen heads busted using that stuff. Gumout carb cleaner works great and you won't blow up your engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it runs on any flavor of starting fluid, there is a dirty carb or fuel system delivery issue.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuel shut off solenoid? Never saw a kohler engine with two fuel shut off solenoids. But model spec and serial no. would help. since the mower can't run. Did she put gas in it or something else. Have seen everything from kerosene, diesel and yes water.

geelee

Threads
yes the 2 barrel nikki has 2 solenoids, when the key is turned on they should click. there was some problems with the hour meter module. bad diodes. would either stick on and kill battery or not power the solenoids. on second thought it may be a walbro carb. either way same problem

Joed756

Threads
"She said she was mowing and it sounded like she ran out of gas when it quit so she added gas and wouldnt start."

Atta boy

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you post model spec and serial no of the engine. U R not giving us much to go on here.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
mower that will crank over just fine. Runs on starting fluid. Replaced the fuel pump fuel filter and disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it.
Carb is still dirty and or fuel delivery issue.