Engine will not shut down and reeves at 4400 RPM when trying to shut down

rfc2005

Threads
  • / Engine will not shut down and reeves at 4400 RPM when trying to shut down
Yes, it is the right cable, (part # 740194MA) that I installed after those pictures were taken. As far as cable position goes all adjustments you and the manual suggested were made with the throttle down in full throttle position.
Not sure if you read my question in last post. Is it possible that the new carb that I installed at the beginning of all this is defective in some way?
Thanks, Bob

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, it asked if I had given up on you. You say you have a new cable, when you push the control handle all the way forward as in pic #1, is the control down by the carb all the way forward as in pic #2&4? Second question, on your new cable, is stop when you pull it back or push it forward?

rfc2005

Threads
Lol. The question I was referring to, was about the possibility of the new carb being defective,not you giving up on me. Answer #1 The old cable throttle control picture was just that, a picture to show you type of control. It was in a pull back (up) position. But with that said, the answer is yes.
Answer #2 Stop is when I pull back (up) on throttle control.
Going to enclose new pics. of setup as we stand now with new throttle control.
Pic (#1) will be with throttle control pulled back (up) position followed by pic (#2) of cable position down by
carb linkage.
Pic (#3) will be of throttle control pushed down in the start position followed by pic (#4) of cable position down by carb linkage. Pic (#5) of gov. linkage.
Thanks, Bob

Attachments

• IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 4

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those pics look better to me. You said you set the governor following the instructions on page 27 and the high and low speeds following the instructions on page 29. Did you set the governor first, and then the speed?

rfc2005

Threads
Yes, I did the governor first and then the Speed. I just took another look at the manual (page 27 & 29). I will retrace my steps on the machine again tomorrow.
The one problem that I am not able to correct is .Fig 12 on page 29. Not sure what they mean by choke actuating lever.The only hole on the control plate is nowhere close to align it with the choke lever if that is what they mean.
Thanks,Bob

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The brackets in fig 12 and 13 are different. You need to use 13 Snap in “Style Speed Control”

rfc2005

Threads
Had my brain in my ass. I thought it was saying to do both 12&13.
Retraced all the steps today to no avail. I put throttle control in the stop position,than loosened the screw on the governor clamp,held the clamp all the way to the left while pushing governor lever to left to open full throttle position and tightened screw in position (pic).
Next step, I aligned high speed pin position holes by moving throttle control up towards idle (it took a few clicks up towards stop position to align). Moved High speed tab to the left to decrease speed (pic). I changed positions a few times on the high speed tab, ran the same high rpm at all positions.
Thanks, Bob

Attachments

• Adjusted High speed Tab.jpg
    Adjusted High speed Tab.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Adjusted Governor and Clamp.jpg
    Adjusted Governor and Clamp.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 4

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I’m at a loss here and because I’m not there I don’t know what to tell you. If you have followed those directions, the only thing i can think of is that you may have an Internet problem. Only thing I can’t see, is the governor link, the one with the spring, going to the throttle control on the carb and the solid link going to the control plate? Just another thought. When you set the governor, did you twist the governor shaft in the same direction (CCW) as you pushed the arm and opened the throttle, before tightening the screw?

Last edited:

rfc2005

Threads
Thanks for your time, it is most appreciated.
Yes I did twist governor shaft in the same direction (CCW) as I pushed the arm to open the throttle before tightening screw again. For the sake of a clear mind can you just give me a last reply as to if the linkage set up is all correct. Pics. Would you happen to know what full and low RPM should be. I am thinking 3100-3600
Thanks again, Bob

Attachments

• Linkage& Control Plate Top View.jpg
    Linkage& Control Plate Top View.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Linage top viewjpg.jpg
    Linage top viewjpg.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 6
  • linkage Under View2.jpg
    linkage Under View2.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Linkage Under view.jpg
    Linkage Under view.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Linkage Front view.jpg
    Linkage Front view.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 5

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless I’m missing something everything looks correct to me. On these type of units I normally set my low end RPM’s at 1800 and high end at 3200. If you have anything else to ask, please do so. Worst answer I can give you is I DON’T KNOW.