Engine will not shut down and reeves at 4400 RPM when trying to shut down

rfc2005

Threads
  • / Engine will not shut down and reeves at 4400 RPM when trying to shut down
Changed carb on my Craftsman 6.5 Hp Wheel Trimmer (143.996516) . I also installed new ground wire and gov. link with new extension spring. After multiple adjustments (it was reeving at 4600 RPM at idle and full throttle) I got the RPM down to 3400 at idle by adjusting the Idle Restrictor Screw on the carb.
Here is the problem that I can't get a correct fix on. When I push the Throttle down to shut Trimmer off, it reeves up to 4400 RPM and will not shut down ( I need to pull Plug Wire off Spark Plug to stop.
This is a Tecumseh Lev 120 Specs 361047B
Got me baffled, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

rfc2005

Threads
Thank you so much. I will get back to you one way or another on how it is going
Bob

rfc2005

Threads
Got a much better understanding from the manual you sent,thanks. I am still not there yet. When I start up, the only way to make the High Speed Position Hole match up is to move the Throttle Control away from start position and up towards idle around a third of the way. Idle speed (Throttle up)at around 3400 and does not shut off. The rpm at full throttle is still high (4400-4800). I will enclose pics. Thank you so much for your time and stay safe out there.

Attachments

• TrimmerThrottle.jpg
    TrimmerThrottle.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 17
  • TrimmerLinkage 3.jpg
    TrimmerLinkage 3.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Trimmer Linkage 2.jpg
    Trimmer Linkage 2.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Trimmer Linkage 1.jpg
    Trimmer Linkage 1.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 14

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like you have the linkages hooked up properly, but I can see under the control plate to make sure. I’m going to ask a few questions, which you may have done, but I’m not there to see. Did you adjust the static governor lever according to the procedure stated in the manual? Have you tried adjusting the high speed screw on the underside of the control plate? Could you have install the throttle cable in backwards, so that it is opening the throttle, not closing when you move the handle control to idle/stop position? When you go to the stop position does the control arm (under the control plate) come into contact with the shut off switch? Pages 26-33 in the manual talk about what I’m asking.

rfc2005

Threads
I have attached pics. of the underside of control plate in idle position and Full throttle position. Yes I did adjust the static governor lever according to the procedure stated in the manual. Do not see high speed screw on the underside of the control plate you stated.. The only adjusting screw I see in the throttle stop screw on carb. Throttle cable is closing the throttle with handle control in idle/stop position. there is no contact with the shut off switch, its like a 1/6 " away from touching the "J" shaped wire.
It seems like everything is in order. The Governor linkage springs back at full throttle and is loose at idle.
When I try to back off the full throttle because or the high rpm and slowly go up to the idle position, the engine starts to flutter like it wants to back fire at the lower rpm.
As you can see from pics, the throttle cable has some bends in it. Not sure if this is part of the problem. I have ordered a new cable anyway.
Thanks again, Bob

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, loosen those two screws on the control plate and move the plate to get the lever to contact the shut off arm. Second, I’m think by your description you may have adjusted the governor the wrong way. Double check how you did it, against the manual, and make sure the throttle plate is wide open and you are turning the governor shaft in the correct direction. Then tighten the clamp nut.

rfc2005

Threads
Put on new cable and made all your suggested adjustments. Unfortunately no change. Still starts up at full throttle at real high RPM 4200-4800. I start pulling up the throttle towards idle,get it to sit at 3400 while it warms up. Once I head up to total idle engine putters and shuts off.
Is it possible that the new carb I installed is defective?
Thanks again, Bob

rfc2005

Threads
Did you give up on me? lol

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, just had to be out of town for awhile. Do you have the correct throttle cable? Your pic number one shows the throttle in the fast position, but the other pics show the control in the stop position.