engine starts and dies

Threads
my engine start and dies. i was told it may be the fuel shut off. how do i check the shut off and if need be change it? Engine is a kroheler 2700.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Not finding anything on a Kohler 2700. Check the silver Kohler tag on the blower housing of the engine for the Model and spec number,

has the engine sat for awhile?

You're thinking of the (technically) called AntI-Afterfire valve, when 12volts is applied to it (you turn the key on) it retracts a plunger from the main jet. and when you turn the key off, power is killed and stops up the jet to prevent fuel from being drawn in the combustion chamber and out the exhaust making a POP, and raising the outside temp. somehow.
when you turn the key ON, not start, ON, listen for that solenoid to 'click'. however it may be retracting, but not able to hold open and kills the motor, MY preferred fix is to cut off the steel plunger rod flush with the solenoid threads. Engines ran without them for years, and yours will too. it will just act as a plug. And NO it will not cause the carb to flood the engine with fuel as some YouTube'rs falsely claim.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Highly unlikely as most engines built now days draw both the idle fuel & the running fuel via the main jet or mainjet tube that the above do-dad plugs off.
Could be electric depending upon which piece of gear the engine is bolted into .

Never heard of a 2700 series Kohler engine so more info or some photos would be a big help
Now there is a 7000 series and within that a 7200 but right now we are just guessing.
At start up 90% or more of the fuel is supplied by the idle circuit
Once running that can drop down to as low as 50% so if the main jet is clogged or fallen out the engine will die shortly after it fires up.
Does it die lean or rich ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@bertsmobile1 On Kohler the fuel shutoff doesn't close the idle circuit, but unless there is a key switch issue that isn't suppling power in the run position I would say the issue is something else. Low oil pressure sensor or ignition kill circuit issues.

Threads
Not finding anything on a Kohler 2700. Check the silver Kohler tag on the blower housing of the engine for the Model and spec number,

You're thinking of the (technically) called AntI-Afterfire valve, when 12volts is applied to it (you turn the key on) it retracts a plunger from the main jet. and when you turn the key off, power is killed and stops up the jet to prevent fuel from being drawn in the combustion chamber and out the exhaust making a POP, and raising the outside temp. somehow.
when you turn the key ON, not start, ON, listen for that solenoid to 'click'. however it may be retracting, but not able to hold open and kills the motor, MY preferred fix is to cut off the steel plunger rod flush with the solenoid threads. Engines ran without them for years, and yours will too. it will just act as a plug. And NO it will not cause the carb to flood the engine with fuel as some YouTube'rs falsely claim.
It is a 7000

It is a 7000 engine, i donot hear a click when i turn on the egnition switch. it starts runs for 1-2 seconds and dies. i checked the oil and i dont smell gas in it.

Born2Mow

Threads
It is a 7000 engine, I do not hear a click when I turn on the ignition switch. It starts, runs for 1-2 seconds and dies. I checked the oil and I don't smell gas in it.
It could be either an electrical safety switch kicking in (low oil, no driver in the seat, not in neutral, etc) or limited fuel. If you have a can of starting fluid you can spray that into the carb.... If it continues to run, then the issue is fuel starvation. If it turns off as usual, then it's likely a safety interlock issue.

Hope this helps.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads

This fix is a good fix for most but a caution has been found. Some later units now only use the fuel shut off to kill the engine, in that the spark is not killed when the switch is turned off. These units take a couple seconds to shut off when the key is turned off. If unsure, check for the kill circuit to be present to kill the spark. Worst case if you wish to go ahead with the defeating of the solenoid by cutting it off is be prepared to kill the engine otherwise and have to replace the solenoid as an end result since kill circuit is not present or modify to incorporate the kill circuit, or install a inline fuel shut off valve close to the carb to stave it of fuel - as long as you realize you are 1) defeating all safety measures built into the design, 2) the after fire solenoid prevents muffler pops that can blow the muffler apart.

Threads

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
This fix is a good fix for most but a caution has been found. Some later units now only use the fuel shut off to kill the engine, in that the spark is not killed when the switch is turned off. These units take a couple seconds to shut off when the key is turned off. If unsure, check for the kill circuit to be present to kill the spark. Worst case if you wish to go ahead with the defeating of the solenoid by cutting it off is be prepared to kill the engine otherwise and have to replace the solenoid as an end result since kill circuit is not present or modify to incorporate the kill circuit, or install a inline fuel shut off valve close to the carb to stave it of fuel - as long as you realize you are 1) defeating all safety measures built into the design, 2) the after fire solenoid prevents muffler pops that can blow the muffler apart.
kind of surprised some use a fuel only kill. seems there should be a kill for spark if we are as enamored with safety as we are nowdays.