Engine died :(

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I filled the 3.5HP B&S up with a full tank of unleaded today, and mowed the back and front lawns withough a hitch, so I finished, took the grass collection bag off, and tried to fire it up, to get rid of the remaining loose bits of grass under the mower, but it just would not fire up!

I tried it for ages with the throttle on MIN because it was warm, so then I put it on CHOKE, and tried more, nothing, back to MIN, tried again, NOTHING!!

Every few pulls it would pull the cord back and almost dislocate my elbow, but I don't know if that means anything, probably not.

Please help guys! :frown:

The engine only has 4.5 hours on it!:mad:

jeff

Threads
Classic symtom of a sheared flywheel key.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
And is that bad ? Hard to fix/expencive ? :frown:

jeff

Threads
That depends on how mechanicly you are inclined. The key is just a couple of dollars. To replace, you will need to remove the engine top cover and the flywheel.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replacing that key is not hard or expensive if you want to do it . With only 4.5 hours it should still be under warranty unless it is over the time limit.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
It's over the time limit for the warrenty :frown:

I've changed the oil in a car before, so that is about my mechanical knowledge level...

Would I be able to do it ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I've just been thinking though...

1) Would a small stone (about the size of driveway gravel) be enough to shear the Flywheel Key ?
2) Why did the engine keep running fine after hitting the stone, instead of stalling immediately ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
My friend says that if the engine kept running after the "collision" with the stone, it can't be the key, as that would cause it to stall straight away.

He thinks it is the "Cold Timing Advance" stuck on, but doesn't know how to fix it...

Do you guys!?

C&R Lawn Care

Threads
How new is the mower ???

Some newer engines have a auto shut off if the oil is low also check the deck to see if something wrapped around the blades and caused it to bind