Engine Air Filter Style for ZTR

jpg98

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm hoping to buy a ZTR this year, so I've been doing a lot of reading and looking around at different models. One thing I've noticed is the varying air filter systems used on different "grades" of equipment.
These seem to fall into 3 categories:
1. Smaller filters that reside under the engine shroud.
1683045518003.png
2. Higher profile filters that sit under a shroud extension. See below.
1683044608498.png

3. Canister-style filters in a housing outside the engine shroud.
1683045730228.png

I definitely see the need for a good air filtration system given the engine placement on these mowers. My gut feeling is that the #1 filter style is not best suited for long engine life.
How about #2? Is it significantly better? How does it compare to #3?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it were me and it came down to which filter to go with, I would go with the lowest cost replacement filter. To me filters are filters. It’s more important to make sure you keep them clean and serviced as suggested in the owners manual. If you do that which system you use makes little difference.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the very same Kohler ZT740 engine on my Gravely. That filter setup works pretty good. It has a foam sleeve over the paper element. Follow Kohler’s filter maintenance guidelines and your engine will last a good while.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a couple of Toro ZTs with the Loncin pictured in #1. They filtered okay. Again, they have a foam pre-filter sleeve over a paper element. Follow the filter maintenance guidelines.

Lawn Addict
Threads
# 3 (the canister) is found on Commercial units.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
# 3 (the canister) is found on Commercial units.
Donaldson air cleaner (two part air filter), is far and above the best, but probably can’t get unless you order it as an option because it is on commercial engines and equipment.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny ,'
people will argue for hours about a totally unnecessary item like a mower oil filter but rarely say boo about an essential item like an air filter
So you have 2 options
Do as Rivets suggests and change them at the end of every season
Install a canister filter with a flow gauge and never touch it again till the meter tells you to .
Of all the engines I see the Kawasaki filters seem to be the most prone to leaking dusty air into the engine.
Tractor style mowers are least sensative to air filter quality and fit becuse the engine is higher & in front of the dust creating thing, called the mower deck
ZTR's are the most sensative and ZTR's with baggers account for 4 out of 5 engine rebuilds I do due to ring / bore wear

Last edited:

jpg98

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found your conversion pics earlier. Well done.

jpg98

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all for the informative replies.
My main goal to make sure that whatever machine I end up with lasts for many years. Current mower prices being what they are, a little extra money spent on the air filter may pay off in the long run.