Electric ZTR

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
As to the cost of operation, I have not yet checked to see what "everyone thinks"... I can only go by what I know fuel and oil sells for, what different types of mowing equipment sells for, and what electricity costs... I can form a good notion what costs are, I can also go to the manufactures site and look at :
Zeon
You will note this comparison is with similar size mowers, both mowing 40 hrs per year.

I can see there will be a lot of folks that have an acre or less of lawn to mow, will be looking at these for a very affordable and QUIET means to do it... :smile:KennyV

As far as the Batteries go I"ll stay with what I said, there are to many variables, such as depth of discharge, maintenance, temperature, how often and how deep cycled, etc. that it is impossible to know how long they will last. Most Deep Cycle Batteries only have a 12 month manufacturers warranty.

As to the cost of operation and using there own figures with gas at $3.75 a gal which it's know where near that, and a comparison is with similar size mowers over there 10 year period. The Zeon 42" and I quote the price I was given at the dealer cost $5999 and over a 10yr. period it cost $1050 Total $7049 to own and operate. My Cub Cadet 44" with a 20hp motor cost $3199 and over a 10yr. period cost $2699 Total $5898 to own and operate and according to there figures my cub is already 10 yrs. old and runs great and I mow what I want, when I want regardless of conditions, can they say the same of the Zeon.

Personally I think there figures (Hustlers) are way bias and blown way out of proportion. I guess they buy there gas the same place they buy there batteries. :laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Personally I think there figures (Hustlers) are way bias and blown way out of proportion.

"blown way out of proportion", like their air and oil filters at 70 cents each, 3 changes at $2.10...
"gas at $3.75 a gal which it's know where near that" Just checked the National average price for reg unlead is $3.18 and rising, their figure is off 57 cents today.

If you are trying to compare your Cub Cadette to any Hustler I see why you do not understand. The only comparison that you can 'fairly' make including the cost of the machine, will be to compare a similar built mower. (It will not be any of the CC you currently own).

You still have not looked at this mower, (thats right I remember you saying , you didn't have to, and was not going to...). and you are obviously not able to negotiate a better price...
Your loss, but like I had said before this will be a great ZTR for a lot of those that want a quality built quiet and economical, care free mower. (Not a good match for you).

As to your experience with batteries, I don't have any idea how you are able to ruin them, but I do believe you when you say you are able to do it. :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
the price tag on the machine I looked at was $4999.00 russ

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
the price tag on the machine I looked at was $4999.00 russ
The $5999 price I received was from a Hustler dealer about three months ago, he also quoted me a $500 price for the quick charger.

173abn

Threads
wow! the salesman I talked to said the quick charger was incl. with the price of the mower. russ

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
wow! the salesman I talked to said the quick charger was incl. with the price of the mower. russ

The salesman told me it came with a charger but if I wanted the quick charger it was an additional cost of $500. He also said that he could order the mower and charger and have them in a week or two because he didn't have it and didn't stock the thing anymore because they never sold the one they had on the floor and they ended up giving it to another dealer. ( His words Not mine)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
"blown way out of proportion", like their air and oil filters at 70 cents each, 3 changes at $2.10...
"gas at $3.75 a gal which it's know where near that" Just checked the National average price for reg unlead is $3.18 and rising, their figure is off 57 cents today.

If you are trying to compare your Cub Cadette to any Hustler I see why you do not understand. The only comparison that you can 'fairly' make including the cost of the machine, will be to compare a similar built mower. (It will not be any of the CC you currently own).

You still have not looked at this mower, (thats right I remember you saying , you didn't have to, and was not going to...). and you are obviously not able to negotiate a better price...
Your loss, but like I had said before this will be a great ZTR for a lot of those that want a quality built quiet and economical, care free mower. (Not a good match for you).

As to your experience with batteries, I don't have any idea how you are able to ruin them, but I do believe you when you say you are able to do it. :smile:KennyV

Kenny, Quote your words You will note this comparison is with similar size mowers, both mowing 40 hrs per year. and that was the comparison I made and I think I've proven the point.
Yes the gas price they used was "blown way out of proportion", considering the time that page was made gas was probably less than $3.00 a gallon and their air and oil filters at 70 cents each, 3 changes at $2.10 if you figure their cost for three times over that ten year time frame you'll find they're figures are probably about right.
As far as my equipment goes, any mower that can mow 66 lawns per week, 264 a month 10 months a year for 3 years and only replace 2 belts in my book I would have consider to be an excellent mower and as far as I'm concerned one of the best on the market today.
Kenny I know you don't particularly like me and the feeling is mutual, I also know you like to degrade my equipment ( Cub Cadet ) and that's fine be my guest but if you insist on doing that at least Note the spelling in parenthesis and try to get it right next time.

As to my experience with batteries, I have never ruined a battery in my life. If you would have asked how I went through a battery every 12 months instead of trying to degrade me as an Individual I could have told you I owed a 18 ft. Hydro Sport Bass Boat and lived on the largest chain of lakes in the state of Florida, needless to say I fished and charged batteries daily and when you do that to a deep cell battery they tend to get used up rather quickly.23_4_121.gif

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kenny, Quote your words You will note this comparison is with similar size mowers, both mowing 40 hrs per year. and that was the comparison I made and I think I've proven the point.

Yes the gas price they used was "blown way out of proportion", considering the time that page was made gas was probably less than $3.00 a gallon and their air and oil filters at 70 cents each, 3 changes at $2.10 if you figure their cost for three times over that ten year time frame you'll find they're figures are probably about right.

Kenny I know you don't particularly like me and the feeling is mutual, I also know you like to degrade my equipment ( Cub Cadet ) and that's fine be my guest but if you insist on doing that at least Note the spelling in parenthesis and try to get it right next time.

As to my experience with batteries, I have never ruined a battery in my life. If you would have asked how I went through a battery every 12 months instead of trying to degrade me as an Individual I could have told you I owed a 18 ft. Hydro Sport Bass Boat and lived on the largest chain of lakes in the state of Florida, needless to say I fished and charged batteries daily and when you do that to a deep cell battery they tend to get used up rather quickly.

Ric..
The comparison is with like size mowers... But YOU injected the initial price, as if your comparison was equal in quality (same size same deck, BIG difference in total machine build quality)...

Fuel price is NOT out of line, you check the high & low fuel prices and then average them... The real thing to compare is gas to electricity...
70 cent filters?? Really?

Ric ... If i disliked you, I would never respond to your statements. Some of which I figured were just you choosing to be the antagonist. like Your rationale, as to electric power vs gasoline power.
As to "degrade my equipment ( Cub Cadet )"... I remember,last year, it was YOU that had such a fit about your 'dealer purchased' CC was better/worse than the 'Box Store' model CC... To that I responded, If it was the same model # it is going to be the same, regardless of where it was purchased!
I own a Cub Cadet 1450, I have had it since mid 1970's, still runs and works fine, has thousands of hours on it... it is a very well made machine, I would not compare it to todays CC ... but then again I would never compare it to an electric rider either...

Your also the one that stated you don't get but a year from deep cycle batteries... Like I said, I have no idea how you can consistently destroy batteries in a short period of time... but I do believe you when you say you can do it.
I think you could stand a break from all that work, 66 lawns per week, 264 a month 10 months a year...:laughing: your a funny guy...
Take an afternoon off and spool down. Go out and play some golf, while you are out there take note how many carts are electric vs gasoline... there is a reason the majority are electric... and my experience has been they will go WAY beyond 18 holes on a charge plus keep doing it on the same batteries for years...

If you don't want to get too far away from other people actually working... go to a industrial site where they are using scissor lifts... most will be electric, and will have lots of deep cycle batteries on them... Ive had great experience with that application also...

Getting back to the original post "Electric ZTR", you jumped in with "using that Zeon isn't going to be as cheap as everyone thinks." Then YOU proceeded to run down deep cycle batteries... You could still benefit from actually going out to look & try out a Zeon, get TODAYS actual price (not Manufacturer's Suggested List Price), again do YOU pay MSLP for equipment?? If so, are you really in business? Even if you do pay MSLP use the actual current $#, if your going to try to make it sound negative...

This is getting to be rather long, and perhaps boring but then what can I say... I'm typing as slow as possible ... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
Kenny,you bring up a good point.Way back when I was 13yrs old I was cadding for my money.I remember all the golf carts were elec. powered.They could go 18 holes with ease,it usually took 4 hrs to caddy 18holes but that was walking but there were those in my groups that used the carts.Don't know what kinda batts. they used but they seemed to work well.I read both yours and Ric's comments all the time because I believe you both to have good knowledge about the subject at hand.I hope I didn't start some bad blood between you two by starting this thread. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kenny,you bring up a good point.Way back when I was 13yrs old I was cadding for my money.I remember all the golf carts were elec. powered.They could go 18 holes with ease,it usually took 4 hrs to caddy 18holes but that was walking but there were those in my groups that used the carts.Don't know what kinda batts. they used but they seemed to work well.I read both yours and Ric's comments all the time because I believe you both to have good knowledge about the subject at hand.I hope I didn't start some bad blood between you two by starting this thread. russ

Hey russ...
Golf is most likely the proving field for batteries ... carts are almost all 36volt 6 - 6volt deep cycle and from the ones I've seen usually Trojan brand, they go almost forever. 5 years is never a problem with Trojan, and 36 holes is nothing for the charge... now for me 36 holes does not happen that often...

As for Ric, up till this last "I know you don't particularly like me and the feeling is mutual" comment, I didn't realize he felt that way... I do recall he got all bunched up the last go round about the Zeon... BUT I thought it was because he might have been unfamiliar with the Hustler name... they are not in the low end market, and there are a LOT of people that are not aware of the quality that is in their product...
I know if he was to look at them, he should be able to see how well they are built...

I myself will cling to a hopeless opinion in spite of facts to the contrary, but I'll eventually have to look at something new, just to see there are "better mouse traps" being built...

Ric has been negative about electric mowers for a while... I don't know, he may be the last to see the practical application & benefit of electricity... fuel prices may force a lot of us to consider electricity where it was not seriously considered before... I see Volvo and MB are making a Diesel hybrid... the RailRoad has been doing that for around 60 years... :smile:KennyV