Elecronic Ignition Availability?

Briggs and Stratton magnetron conversion kit is part number 394970. Cost is about $25.00. Cheaper than a new coil.
 
Is the conversion a true magneto, or an electronic kit triggered by conventional points? Please say more about attaching with RTV.
 
The conversion kit eliminates the points and condenser from the system. You attach the triggering mechanism to you existing coil. I just cut the wires going to the points and condenser as close to the block as I can, so they don't get caught in anything. No need to take off the flywheel and remove them. Page 6, Sec. 2 of this manual talks about the replaceable module, although I have never had to replace one after it has been installed.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12502267/B&S Service Manuals/01_270962SingleCylinderLHead.pdf
 
Yeah, almost any shop would have a pile of good coils from all of those pushmowers that got a bent shaft, they would part with those coils for 5$ or so.
 
Back
Top