Echo srm225 only 6mths old won't start

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What do you do with the gas you take out of the trimmer?

Choochoo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all!!! I am bringing it to a licensed dealer to have it looked at. I appreciate all the suggestions!

Choochoo

Forum Newbie
Threads
The gas I empty from the trimmer is used in my chainsaw that I use at my camp!

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
Iam 99% sure that the problem is fuel related. Old gas doesn't burn!! If you dumped the gas out and kept it in your can and 6 months later tried to use it........... Buy fresh gas from the pump, mix with 2 stroke oil. Make sure trimmer has no fuel left in it. I guarantee that's where your problem is. If you drained all the fuel out and ran it dry, there shouldn't be a need to clean, kit, install new carb. Most people don't know that old fuel is bad!! 30 days is the max from pump to can. Throw it away. I have owned and worked on echo's for 15 years. There great machines.

Choochoo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Iam 99% sure that the problem is fuel related. Old gas doesn't burn!! If you dumped the gas out and kept it in your can and 6 months later tried to use it........... Buy fresh gas from the pump, mix with 2 stroke oil. Make sure trimmer has no fuel left in it. I guarantee that's where your problem is. If you drained all the fuel out and ran it dry, there shouldn't be a need to clean, kit, install new carb. Most people don't know that old fuel is bad!! 30 days is the max from pump to can. Throw it away. I have owned and worked on echo's for 15 years. There great machines.

Thank you. I do agree they are great products. I have owned a total of 4 trimmers from echo in the past 22yrs. I'm figuring if this is the problem it's because of the ethonal in the fuel. I know this has a tendency to gum up.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

My apology's, I'm not trying to Hi-Jack the thread.......You can't blame it on old gas. Gasoline doesn't really go bad if you leave it unused for a period of time. That's just another urban legend, people who worry about "old gas" and spend money on fuel stabilizer are wasting psychic energy as well as cash. The fact is old gas does burn. Yes gas will lose some of its volatility over time which means it doesn't burn as well but that doesn't mean its bad. You tell people that gas isn't any good after 30 days max from pump to can which is crazy when the fact is you don't even know how old the gas is when you buy it, it could set in the tanks at the gas station that long or longer before it's sold. You should never throw gas away, Just add to it just like the service stations do.

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably should not argue this topic again....

Whatever happened its fuel related he says he uses the fuel in his chain saw. Runs his trimmer empty every time. Perhaps this practice dried out some rubber parts in the carb. Or a small amount of fuel oil mix(a lot of 2cycle oil uses fuel stabilizer) maybe the oil dried and clogged something. In all cases the carb needs cleaned, rebuilt, or possibly replaced.

I would find out why it happened if something dried out keep fuel in it. Or whatever...

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Probably should not argue this topic again....

Whatever happened its fuel related he says he uses the fuel in his chain saw. Runs his trimmer empty every time. Perhaps this practice dried out some rubber parts in the carb. Or a small amount of fuel oil mix(a lot of 2cycle oil uses fuel stabilizer) maybe the oil dried and clogged something. In all cases the carb needs cleaned, rebuilt, or possibly replaced.

I would find out why it happened if something dried out keep fuel in it. Or whatever...

I'm not going to argue the topic, I don't have too. There have been to many articles wrote by different people and firms alike to prove what I said is correct. The shelf life of gasoline depends on the type of gas and the storage conditions and can range from a couple months to a couple years. One wild card is that gas you buy at the pump may already have been in storage for anywhere from days to months.

If the or his problem is fuel related it's easy to check all he has to do is try and start the engine, choke it, crank it half a dozen times and if it doesn't start pull the plug and see if it's soaked with gas. If the plug is wet he is getting gas and it's not a fuel related problem unless his mixture is wrong.

Check all your electrical connections, change the gas filter, change the two air filters and clean the spark arresting screen and a new plug first before you start tearing into the carb. Simple things first.

I've been on this forum basically since it started and I seen a lot of threads about people having problems with Trimmers, Edgers and alike and it seems that the greatest majority of the problems ( not All) with this equipment not working have something in common and that's the use of fuel stabilizers, seems like to me the people who use that stuff are the ones always having problems???

Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm not going to argue the topic, I don't have too. There have been to many articles wrote by different people and firms alike to prove what I said is correct. The shelf life of gasoline depends on the type of gas and the storage conditions and can range from a couple months to a couple years. One wild card is that gas you buy at the pump may already have been in storage for anywhere from days to months. If the or his problem is fuel related it's easy to check all he has to do is try and start the engine, choke it, crank it half a dozen times and if it doesn't start pull the plug and see if it's soaked with gas. If the plug is wet he is getting gas and it's not a fuel related problem unless his mixture is wrong. Check all your electrical connections, change the gas filter, change the two air filters and clean the spark arresting screen and a new plug first before you start tearing into the carb. Simple things first. I've been on this forum basically since it started and I seen a lot of threads about people having problems with Trimmers, Edgers and alike and it seems that the greatest majority of the problems ( not All) with this equipment not working have something in common and that's the use of fuel stabilizers, seems like to me the people who use that stuff are the ones always having problems???

I have to agree. I think all the fuel additives that people put in their gas is the reason they have problems with their equipment running.
When I joined a couple years ago I fell for it even tho I was not having any problems with my equipment. I read on here that you need to use a fuel stabilizer.

About a month after I started using it my wife's says you know we never had any problems starting this trimmer until you started putting that crap in the gas.
I do not store gas I was it the same or next day. I do have mowers and some 2 stroke handheld. That will sit with gas in them for a couple months and start and run just fine.

Think about this they add 10% ethanol to the gas then you add some crap to counter react with the ethanol. So how much pure gas is left?

Choochoo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok fellas,
The verdict is in and it was a broken needle spring..Don't ask cause I don't know! lol But she runs fine now!! Thanks for all y'all's input!!!