Driving mower at night

chobbs1957

Threads
Has anyone on here ever had to drive their lawn mower in the dark before???

I do it a lot. I mow early mornings now and then so that my day can be free. I added a headlight to my Snapper last year. I bought a wide angle beam instead of a projector, and it works well. I added a single fog light to the rear so that I could see when backing up.

I wired and fused directly to the battery, pretty simple and inexpensive. Only problem I have had is the rear fog light + headlight zap the battery faster than the mower can maintain charge. I have the rear light on a separate switch and only turn on when needed.

Click on my avatar for look at how it's mounted, and click the thumbnail below to see it in action at night.

IMG-20130427-00663.jpg

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
The illumination at night question has come up multiple times on the forum. Being as my user name is midnite rider, I have some experience in night motoring. I served and was stationed in North Dakota years ago and had to keep my drive and walkways clear of snow. North Dakota's state tree was a telephone pole, so when the moon was out with a blanket of snow I could see just fine and did not need any auxillary lighting. Here in Georgia where the snow is rare and the trees are plentiful you need to have some means of illumination, even under a full moon, whether you are mowing or trailriding at night as I do with my riders. In my opinion LED's are the best choice as they offer a minimal amount of battery drain and have the option of a self contained battery. They also offer many mounting options as well as using your stock bulb sockets. You can get very bright lighting with LED's, it is just according, as usual, to how much you are willing to spend.
Here is some solutions that I have offered previously.

Superbright and pricey bike lights work well.

Here are some 1156 /1157 style bulbs replacements with LED.

Here are some auxillary lights from Surplus center.

Some others from R&P Carriages a fleabay store.

midnite-rider-albums-misc-picture11386-blinking-tractor11.gif

edd

Threads
i mow before daylight about once a week.....the places have security lights and i can see well enough to cut......dont do this at any residences....just govt buildings