Driveway tactic

Threads
Hi!

We have a 400 foot driveway on a 30 degree incline. We do it in quarters with our sears snow blower. Starting at the top, We go down the right side returning up the middle. Then we go down the left side returning up the middle in the undone portion. On to the next segment same proceedure.
This works best for us. If it is extra cold and windy we switch operators and have a good supply of hot chocolate on hand and a fire in the fire place.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi!

We have a 400 foot driveway on a 30 degree incline. We do it in quarters with our sears snow blower. Starting at the top, We go down the right side returning up the middle. Then we go down the left side returning up the middle in the undone portion. On to the next segment same proceedure.
This works best for us. If it is extra cold and windy we switch operators and have a good supply of hot chocolate on hand and a fire in the fire place.

Welcome to LMF....if that tactic works well for you, great. As for me, the snow here is so weird sometimes I never have any set routine for removal. Our drive runs around the house, two roadfront entrances, about a 500 foot long "U" shape. Due to wind and trees, drifting, etc, it is always a tossup how much snow ends up where.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you sure it is a 30 degree incline ? That would be hard to walk with it perfectly dry. I can't immagine trying to walk on it in snow or ice. :eek:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Are you sure it is a 30 degree incline ? That would be hard to walk with it perfectly dry. I can't immagine trying to walk on it in snow or ice. :eek:
Now you mention it, it does sound a bit odd for a drive way to be on such a hill, but then again, I have seen one house that the drive way is at about a 30 degree incline.

The drive way at our old house was on a 15 degree incline, but the one at this house is perfectly level, thank goodness!

LandN

Threads
Hi!

i'm assuming it is a 2 car wide driveway and hard surface?not gravel. one thing you could do is keep it snowblowed the width of the driveway at and near the garage for good access to the entire garage opening and then snowblow just a single width for the remainder of the driveway so that by the time you get to the end of the driveway you're not out of energy to tackle the eod berms that the street crews leave behind. sounds like that sears blower is getting a good workout

Threads
The driveway is 10 feet wide in two parts. The first fifty to 60 feet are about 30 degrees. then it tapers out to about 15 to 20 degrees to the parking pad at the top of the hill, which houses 8 cars. It takes ( 6" of snow ) about 1 ti 1 1/2 hours to do the driveway. Thats why two people and hot chocolate. This is a classic case of having too much. But we do feel fortunate.