Down for a while

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think the last in person Briggs update I attended was in 2012 and at that time we were doing live in person update every 4 years, and it was predicted that 1/2 the people in the room would be retired before 2016. Most of the younger techs in my area are working on farm equipment and most of them that I know are close to or over 40.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, wonder why ? I know farm equipment, as I live next to big dairy farm.. I heard that pays well.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Farmers like commercial mowing contractors appreciate that they need their machinery so are willing to pay a reasonable amount to get them fixed and even better will get them serviced regularly because the harvest will not wait because your equipment has broken down & the parts are on backorder

smhardesty

Threads
You actually bring up a good point. most mower techs are reaching senior status or getting close. Average age of a tech is now over 50 up from 46 just a few years ago, if I remember correctly. Very few young bloods entering the field.
Well, if the market continues to be flooded with all the cheap, throw away Chinese mowers, there won't be a need for mechanics anyway.

Mower won't start? Throw it a way and buy another one just like it. The big box stores are happy to oblige.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, if the market continues to be flooded with all the cheap, throw away Chinese mowers, there won't be a need for mechanics anyway.

Mower won't start? Throw it a way and buy another one just like it. The big box stores are happy to oblige.
Or return to the store for a full refund after using it all mowing season.

smhardesty

Threads
Or return to the store for a full refund after using it all mowing season.
I had to chuckle at that one. I know there are a slew of people out there like that. One of my wife's nieces needed a dress for a wedding we all were going to attend. I happened to be sitting nearby at the reception when she was telling her friends that she ordered the dress from some online place, wore it to the wedding and was still wearing it, and was then going to return it for a refund. All it was going to cost her to wear a fairly expensive dress to the wedding was the cost to return it, which was about $12 to $15.

Call me old fashioned. Call me a dinosaur. Call me whatever you choose, but the bottom line is that I see that as theft, plain and simple.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had to chuckle at that one. I know there are a slew of people out there like that. One of my wife's nieces needed a dress for a wedding we all were going to attend. I happened to be sitting nearby at the reception when she was telling her friends that she ordered the dress from some online place, wore it to the wedding and was still wearing it, and was then going to return it for a refund. All it was going to cost her to wear a fairly expensive dress to the wedding was the cost to return it, which was about $12 to $15.

Call me old fashioned. Call me a dinosaur. Call me whatever you choose, but the bottom line is that I see that as theft, plain and simple.
My local Walmart would issue refunds on riders in October that had been purchased in March. Or give refunds or exchanged for mowers that the customer would say it just quit, but in reality the customer had hit the water meter and the blade is now contacting the deck.

Funny story. A few years ago had a lady that called me and was irate that the new push mower that she had purchased was leaking oil all over the bed of her new pickup truck. And was upset the store wouldn't take it back on refund. She had to bring it to me first for inspection prior to the store allowing return. So early the next morning the husband shows up and the mower was leaking oil and you could see the crack in the oil pan. I help him unload it. and I tip it on edge with the customer on the other side so he couldn't see the fact that the blade was bent 90 degrees along with the bent crankshaft. And I remark in a snarky voice "So what did you hit" his reply was nothing as he walks around the other side of the mower and sees the damage. He then remarks that he didn't know anything about the damage and wanted to know if I could do anything about it which I replied 'Nope" helped him load it back into th truck and with him driving away over 100 feet away with the vehicle windows up I could hear him screaming at his wife of the phone.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The mrs got me started taking "Balance of Nature", I'm not trying to promote anything here. But after a month, I do feel some more pep in my step.